What kind of mushrooms should I use?
This healthy sauteed mushroom recipe calls for cremini or white button mushrooms, but you can use your favorite variety. Shiitake and oyster mushrooms are good choices. That being said, don’t use a combination of mushrooms because different varieties cook at different rates.
How to Choose Good Mushrooms
Here are a few tips to help you pick out the best mushrooms:
- Buy them loose. Choose fresh mushrooms from bins rather than the ones in sealed packages
- Inspect them. Buy mushrooms that have whole, intact caps that look smooth, with very little bruising or black spots.
- Texture. The best mushroom should feel firm.
- Aroma. Mushrooms should smell slightly sweet and earthy.
How to store mushrooms
Store fresh mushrooms in the refrigerator as soon as you bring them home.
You can store them in one of the following ways:
- The original packaging
- In a closed paper bag
- In a resealable plastic bag (but leave the bag partly open to allow moisture to escape)
Mushrooms will keep well in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Can you freeze sauteed mushrooms?
You can freeze you garlic herb mushrooms. To do this, arrange them in a single layer onto a baking sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper. Place the pan into the freezer. Then, after the mushrooms are frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
The sauteed mushrooms will keep well in the freezer for up to five months. However, they may start to lose their texture slightly after two months.
How To Make Sauteed Mushrooms
This easy sauteed mushrooms recipe takes only 10 minutes, from prep to your dinner table. It takes approximately 2-3 minutes to cook the mushrooms in a skillet over medium heat.
To prevent mushrooms from getting soggy, be careful not to over cook them. A quick 2 to 3 minute saute is all that you need for the best sauteed mushrooms.
How many calories per serving?
One 4 oz. serving of garlic herb sauteed mushrooms is 91 calories.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 91 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 8 oz. (226 g) cremini or white mushrooms, bottom parts trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 pinches salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley leaves
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Clean the mushrooms with cold running water, drained and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat and add the oil. Saute the garlic until slightly brown before adding the mushrooms. Stir the mushrooms, add salt and parsley. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Dish out and topped with some Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Serving Size4 oz
Amount Per Serving Calories 91Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gSodium 588mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 4g