Chicken Curry with Potatoes http://rasamalaysia.com/chicken-curry-with-potatoes/
Curry Recipe: Chicken Curry with Potatoes
Curry Recipe: Chicken Curry with Potatoes pictures (3 of 7)

There are many variations of chicken curry in Malaysia: Indian, Chinese, Nyonya, Malay, but chicken curry with potatoes is possibly the most common chicken curry in Malaysia. Everywhere you go where curries are served, you will probably find this type of chicken curry.

For the Nyonyas in Penang, chicken curry  is especially popular and often served with nasi kunyit (coconut milk and turmeric-infused sticky rice). In fact, there is a Nyonya ritual that celebrates the first month of a new born baby. Called “mua guet” or 满月 in local dialect, this celebration comes complete with a nice food package–in the old days, the food package was packed in a delicate and beautiful Nyonya sia na (wood basket)that contains chicken curry, nasi kunyit, and a few other goodies.

I often make chicken curry here in the US and I love serving the chicken curry with roti canai (I buy the frozen ones from Asian food stores). As there are no spice vendors here so I rely on my favorite instant curry paste which is made in Penang.

Chicken Curry with Potatoes

If you like to make chicken curry from scratch, then try out my other chicken curry recipe.

Click Page 2 for the Chicken Curry with Potatoes Recipe

1. dee says:

how many servings does this recipe serve?

2. Doreen says:

if using curry powder to make curry paste, how many tablespoons/cups of curry powder do you think i’ll need?
    Thanks!

3. IRENE says:

HI Bee,
    What curry do you recommend as an introduction for a toddler ? Thanks! Irene

4. Jasmine says:

May I know if I can substitute coconut milk with coconut cream? I have accidentally bought the wrong one !~~

• theBiggestFoodie says:

Yes you can but look at the fat content in the nutrition table. I like to use 200ml of 30% fat Coconut Milk/Cream in a pot of chicken curry (erm… about 1.5kg chicken). If the fat content is higher, perhaps adjust it so it’s slightly less?

5. Leanne says:

Bee, what’s the difference between curry powder, curry paste, curry sauce?
    Is there any curry spice recommended for being less spicy?

• theBiggestFoodie says:

As far as I know:

Curry Powder is a blended powder consisting of chillies and other spices such as turmeric, cardamon and so on. For me, it’s not tasty enough to use only Curry Powder to make a curry.

Curry Paste is the actual a wet paste made of blended fresh chillies, onions, garlic, ginger, other spices and also maybe some curry powder. If it’s fresh, you would fry it with some oil until the aroma is released and then use it to cook with chicken, water, coconut milk to make the actually curry. If curry paste in a packet, just add the ingredients and it’s done!

6. theBiggestFoodie says:

I loveeee Chicken Curry! I love it with bread, noodles (blanched rice vermicelli, pasta or yellow mee) and of course rice!!

I recently tried the Dollee brand chicken curry paste and I’m never making it from scratch again! It’s just so flavourful, authentic and easy to use! One packet makes about 5-6 generous portions so I just make it when guests come over (always get praises!) or I just freeze them and have them another day!

For my friends who don’t like it so spicy, I just add a bit more coconut milk than the instructions say and they love it!
    For my Malaysian/Indonesian/Singaporean friends, I just toss in a couple of spicy minced chillies (with the seeds) and it’s just so good!
    Can’t get enough of it! Highly recommended!

• Carrie says:

I’ve never made curry on my own before but I’ve always enjoyed a good curry! I tried dollee like you’ve suggested and I have to say I’m very pleased with the results! It was really good! Made it for a couple of friends who came over for dinner and it was really easy to make as well! I will definitely keep making my own homemade curries from now on!
      Also based on other dishes I’ve made before, I find that the chicken tastes better when cooked with the bone on rather than when it has been de-boned. =)