Mongolian Beef Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/mongolian-beef-recipe/
September 23rd, 2008 118 Comments

Mongolian Beef Recipe

Mongolian Beef

(Popular and All-Time Favorite Chinese recipes: Chow Mein, Broccoli Beef, Sweet and Sour Pork, Egg Drop Soup, Kung Pao Chicken, Cashew Chicken, Fried Rice, Orange  Chicken, and more.)

Last month during the Beijing Olympics, I shared many popular American Chinese food recipes and the responses were overwhelming. I got numerous emails from my readers trying out my recipes with great success. They thanked me profusely with some of the sweetest emails I’ve ever received and requested more popular Chinese recipes such as Mongolian beef and orange chicken. Mongolian beef is probably one of the most popular beef dishes in the United States, perhaps right after broccoli beef. Mongolian beef is not a traditional Mongolian dish. I am personally not sure about the origins of this recipe but according to Wikipedia, Mongolian beef is a Chinese-American creation. However, I have a Shang Palace Cookbook (Shang Palace is the signature Chinese restaurant at Shangri-La Hotels) and Mongolian beef is featured. I believe Mongolian beef is a legitimate Chinese dish that has been adapted by overseas Chinese restaurants.

Near my office at Beverly Hills—where Chinese restaurants are almost non-existent—I go to PF Chang when I need my Chinese lunch fix. While I am not a fan of PF Chang and chain restaurants, I have to say that PF Chang does a decent job with its Mongolian beef. In fact, Mongolian beef is probably one of the best items on their menu.

My Mongolian beef recipe is very close to the taste of PF Chang’s, except that I used leeks instead of scallions. If you are not a fan of leeks, or can’t get them where you live, scallions work, too. Now, tell me if your local Chinese restaurants (in the UK, Australia, Canada) serve Mongolian beef? I am really curious to know.

Click Page 2 for the Mongolian Beef Recipe Recipe

1. noobcook says:

looks amazing, the close up is beautiful. Can tell you are a good chef just by the way you slice the scallions & leeks, so thin and so consistent (mine some thick, some thin :/)

2. Manggy says:

Hmm, I’m not sure if we call it Mongolian beef here. Anyway, that looks really good and simple too!

3. allenooi says:

I think I need to ask my sister to try this. She is also in the US. For me, I am not good at cooking. I am lazy. :)

4. Lynda-nG says:

Im a Malaysian studying in Melbourne.
    Mongolian beef is way toooooo common here! I work in an Asian kitchen in uni. The Aussies love it!

I love Mongolian beef, this is something I always order at Chinese restaurant. I didn’t think that Mongolian beef recipe is not that hard. This is great!

Kevin

6. Rachel says:

I am in the US-Baltimore and I’ve never seen Mongolian Beef on a menu at a Chinese food place-take out or sit down.

7. tumasova says:

This looks amazing! I have to try it! Speaking of PF Chang’s, have you tried their Hot and Sour soup? Its heavenly! Do you have any recipes for this soup?
    Thank you!!!

8. Hillary says:

That is some gorgeous mongolian beef! I would love to eat that any day!

9. Lara says:

I’m in Brisbane, Australia, and I think that Mongolian Lamb is more popular/common than Mongolian Beef here. Or that may just be my personal preference! :D

10. Lisha says:

In Sydney down under, I’ve seen Mongolian beef and Mongolian lamb from the Chinese shops. They tend to favour adding onions, capsicums and carrots to it

11. Eiinsprasie says:

Mongolian beef is popular in Aussie land here. Some restaurant even serve it in sizzling plate to create more “wow” effect! :)

12. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

Mongolian beef is a pretty common dish on the Chinese restaurants that cater to primarily Western clientele here in New England.

13. Andie Summerkiss says:

Great recipe. Will try it soon. The photos look great too.

Ooo -I’ve been looking all over for a (reliable) recipe for this. Thanks!

Yep, here in Australia, we serve this dish at most Chinese restaurants (although Mongolian lamb is probably more common than Mongolian beef. Very tender).

Ce’nedra

15. Salt N Turmeric says:

This mongolian beef sure look better than beef w broccoli. I think im gonna like this mongolian beef. ;)

16. therealchiffonade says:

I’m sorry. I tried it and my boyfriend “BigBear” (David Wyers) wouln’t eat it.

Of course, everytime I serve something “chinese” he gets all bent out of shape.

Louise
    Clearwater, Florida

17. Tastes of Home says:

Your version looks really good! I’m not a fan of PF Chang’s either, hehe, but I think another redeeming item on their menu (for me at least) will be their deep-fried prawns with garlic and chilli peppers..:)

18. Dhanggit says:

this beef dish is a winner!! love it!!

19. veron says:

I love mongolian beef back in the Philippines but the ones here in the chinese restaurants are too sweet and have too much sauce. Not like yours – just perfectly napped with the sacue. Can you freeze some and send it my way? ;)

20. mikky says:

it really doesn’t matter what you call this dish, but i really does look delicious… thanks for sharing… :)

21. judyfoodie says:

Love the picture :)

I am in Montreal, Canada and truthfully I don’t think I have ever seen it in the menus of Chinese restaurants I got to. Maybe it is called something else…

I am going to try your recipe soon and let you know how it turns out :)

22. lingzie says:

it continues to amaze me how different chinese food is in the US compared to malaysia. i dont think i’ve ever seen mongolian beef in our local menus here. lol
    but this recipe looks good. i love beef!
    one day when i get my kitchen in order, i shall try out all your lovely recipes!!

23. Chubbypanda says:

Yum! Just give me some green onion pancakes (paratha) to wrap it up in, and I’m a happy panda.

24. worldwindows says:

One of the best presented beef dish I have seen for sometime.

25. Lori Lynn says:

I like the simplicity of this dish. I think with good beef, it would be stellar, and all the flavoring show through. Great, thanks!

26. syrie says:

Looks so tender and succulent. I’ll definitely try this one out.

27. Marie says:

I love mongolian beef and it’s funny because before I clicked on the rest of the entry, I was thinking about how the only place I order the dish is at PF Chang’s! I haven’t had mongolian beef in ages (like over a year!), so now I’ve got a serious craving. :P

28. Piggy says:

Mongolian Beef reminds me of the hot plate beef that is quite common in SG. Your version makes me drool. ;-)

Does anybody know a good recepy site like this one, but in chinese?
    My mother would love to try new things out.

Thank you for this great site, bookmarked it :)

30. Nellie says:

I just found this through Food Blog Search!

I’ll be making this for dinner tonight :).

How many servings is this — 2?

31. Emily Nelson says:

I’m from Utah and lots of Chinese restaurants serve Mongolian beef. It’s one of my favorites.

As for where it came from, I can tell you that several restaurants I ate at in China had a very similar dish; I don’t know the Chinese name but it translated to Iron Beef. It was beef, white onions and green peppers in a similar sort of sauce, and they served it sizzling in an iron skillet. It was one of my absolute favorite things I ate there.

32. Bria says:

My boyfriend loves Mongolian Lamb. I never have a say when we get Chinese… we always have to have it! Actually we had it just last night. I’m from Brisbane, Australia, and like others have said- Mongolian Lamb is more common than the beef version.

33. Katia says:

San Francisco has mongolian beef in every chinese restaurant. By reading your recipe, and others, I noticed that the restaurants in SF use small dried chili in their beef to add extra hotness to it…really brings out the flavors more. I’ll try this recipe, but definately will add chili and a bit of hoisin sauce.

HAS ANYONE EVEN TRIED this recipe?? or any recipes from this blog??1

35. La Pinche Cocinera says:

hi!! I am from Mexico, I went to a chinese restaurant and the have it, but sooooooo hot!!! with alot of dry chile and green chile too

36. josh says:

ok b, i have your origin.
    mongolian beef (or lamb) is a legitimate chinese dish, originally adapted from the cooking practices of mongolians and northern chinese muslims. there are two varieties, mongolian ‘hot pot’ which is very common, using a pot that holds broth and charcoal, or mongolian ‘brazier’ or ‘grill,’ which is basically like bulgoki in that thinly sliced meat is grilled at the table on a type of skillet. in america, early chinese restaurants weren’t equipped to provide a small stove for each diner, so a version that could be stir-fried in the kitchen and served normally or on a sizzling plate was devised. in fact, many (cheap) korean restaurants in america and thailand do a similar thing, frying the bulgoki and serving it cooked rather than having each diner do it themselves.

• Jane says:

I am from PEI, Canada, I have never heard of this dish, but I hadn’t looked for it either. Looks great though, will try the recipe~

37. Simon says:

Mongolian beef in my home country Norway is not very common. But I have yet to see it in in beijing when i live there served as a authentic dish haha.

38. Claire says:

Ever since visiting Florida on holiday and eating Mongolian Beef at Mings Court on International Drive my boyfriend and I have been hooked. We asked our local chinese take aways if they ever heard of it and they didnt know of it at all. I dont know of anywhere in my area in the UK that makes this. I am looking forward to trying your recipe as it looks so delicious, just how I remember it :-)

• Hi Claire, when I visited UK, I did notice the Chinese food was different from US. Mongolian beef is must have beef dish on any Chinese menu and I don’t recall seeing it in UK. If not mistaken, I remember seeing scallion beef. I’d say that’s probably the closest thing to Mongolian beef. But try out this recipe of mine, hope it satisfy you and your boyfriend as well :)

• Simon says:

My previous comment was quite old, but I I have to add here that “chinese food” is very different world wide. I have been to many places in the world, and it should almost not be called chinese food:P. It should be called “english food with a chinese twist”, czech food with a chinese twist, US chinese food with chinese ingredients. But however, chop suey is a international “chinese” favorite, even if i just called it “oil fried meat with mixed odds, ends and greasy spy based sauces”. I can probably count the number of asian restaurants i visit in my home town using one hand. 1 Authentic japanese, 1 Korean owned by koreans catering to asian citizens, one chinese/vietnamese dim sum places and 1 authentic Thai restaurant catering to local thais making everything “home made”.

Oslo is overfilled with vietnamese “pretend chinese” and sushi shops. I highly doubt that any of them are cooks, so it pretty much boils down to quantity over Quality.

So what is chinese food?. The only answer i can find to this is simply food catered and made for chinese people, the authentic recipes we cook ourselves and home and the use of the right ingredients.

NO to oily, greasy, fat and disgusting dishes masked in brown sauces.

• I agreed completely. To get real Chinese food, you have to go to China and Hong Kong. When you have the real Chinese food, you will realize that Chinese food is a completely new cuisine–not something you have always known as. ;)

39. Leah says:

Hi – I lived in China for a number of years. It is an authentic Chinese dish, in Chinese it’s tie ban niu rou – iron plate beef. Comes served at the table on a metal plate and sometimes has carrots, capsicum and onion. I used to like the veggies even more than the beef :)

40. Dorach says:

Hi Rasa, this recipe never fails to impress my husband every time I cook it for dinner. I have one question though: What is the purpose of stir frying the beef 1st and then add it back later after the aromatics? I usually skip this step cos I am lazy.

41. Mongolian BBQ says:

I would like to recommend you guys you better to go Mongolia and try this and feel the real taste of Mongolian beef is.Mongolian beef and bbq is really amazing and has o lot of energy and smells pretty nice.I think if you tried in abroad of Mongolia that is fake.All Chinese restaurant has Mongolian food.But it’s really shit.Mongolian beefs and steaks Never been like this.Best advice is meet an Mongols and ask to cook Mongolian beef and you will gotta feeling how nice this is.
    Good luck.

42. Mongolian BBQ says:

Mongolia is independent country.Not Chinese region.

43. Shirline says:

I am a new subscriber, and I am so glad I came across your web site! I am fixing the food for my sons wedding dinner next week, and they requested Orange Chicken. I also decided to do Mongolian Beef. Coud you please let me know how many people each recipe serves I would really appreciate it. I am serving 60 people.

44. Evelyn says:

If I use a pound of beef instead of 8 oz., should I double the sauce and marinate ingredients? thank you.

45. Evelyn says:

IS there anything I can substitue for the kecap manis?? I can’t find it anywhere.. (sorry for keep asking questions .. :x)

46. Gnani says:

This looks yum ! will try this with lamb and I dont eat beef .
    The only thing i liked in pf changs was their battered beans and the sauce . could I get the recipe for it esp the dipping sauce which comes with it .
    Gnani, London

47. Jun Low says:

I made this dish last night and my girlfriend has asked for me to make it again. She loved it so much she had to hold herself back from eating all the beef.

Thanks so much.
    Cheers.

48. Shirl says:

I tried this recipe tonight … the beef is somewhat tough :( I didn’t read the recipe carefully so I stir fried the beef and then put in the sauce, maybe that’s where I went wrong…

• Did you cut the beef against the grain?

• Jun Low says:

I marinate the beef with a teaspoon of bicarb soda before washing it off and marinating it again with the actual marinade in this recipe. Basically stole that from other food posts rasa malaysia has about making meat tender.

• Shirl says:

hmm the beef was already cut when I bought it … multi purpose stir-fry beef, not sure which part of beef it was. Thanks Jun, I did use a bit of baking soda, but didn’t marinate it long… Having said that, I love the sauce and will try making it again. I’m not very good at cooking red meat ^^;
        I love this site btw, I’ve tried a few recipes and will definitely try a lot more :)

49. Simon says:

Hi there,

Even If I don’t consider myself a pro chef I’m really passionate about asian cooking, and I like putting my own little touch to the foods. But however, I have a question here. I was looking for maggi seasoning, but there is like 9 different types of bottles. Which type of seasoning sauce do you refer to here?.

As I didn’t have Maggi seasoning I added a touch of Chinkiang Vinegar, the end result was actually quite nice too.

Ps! This version with leeks actually was somewhat better than the one with scallions only.

50. rhene says:

good idea, i like the way you do it….thanks