Recently, my friend told me that I should be sharing more everyday recipes on Rasa Malaysia—meaning homey recipes that can be served on a constant basis.
Truth be told, I cook and eat mostly everyday dishes at home.
I mean, blog aside, most of the recipes I make are humble, everyday dishes that you will want to eat over and over again, without ever getting bored.
Clay pot chicken with mushroom is one of them.
I don’t know why it has taken me this long to share this wonderful recipe; I guess the notion that it is not that visually appealing is the main reason.
Anyway, during winter months, I use my clay pot almost once a week.
I have so many recipes that can be easily prepared in a clay pot, for examples: Taiwanese 3-Cup Chicken, Sesame Oil Chicken, Cantonese Beef Stew, Malaysian Yong Tow Foo, Curry Fish Head, Bak Kut Teh, pork belly in soy sauce, and braised pork ribs with daikon.
Clay pot is without a doubt one of my favorite kitchen utensils.
The thought of something stewing, braising, and simmering in this kitchenware is enough to stir up my appetite.
Clay pot chicken with mushroom is a very versatile dish. You can throw in extra ingredients to dress up this humble dish—carrot, daikon, onion, or even Cantonese lap cheong (sausage).
Either way, the taste is remarkable and the sauce is great with a bowl of soft, fluffy steamed rice.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 387 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 12 oz. (340 g) skinless and boneless chicken breast/thigh, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1- inch piece peeled ginger, cut into slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 stalks scallions, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon shaoxing wine
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- Marinate the chicken with the Marinade for 15 minutes. Mix all the ingredients in the Sauce in a small bowl, set aside. Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes or until softened. Remove the stems and cut the mushrooms into halves.
- Heat up the clay pot with the oil. Add in the ginger and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the chicken into the clay pot and stir for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and do a few quick stirs. Pour in the sauce, stir to combine well. Add the water and lower the heat to low. Cover the clay pot and let cook and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Add the scallions, stir for a few times and the clay pot chicken with mushroom is now ready to serve. If it's not salty enough, add a little salt to taste.
You can also use bone-in chicken (with skin) for this dish. Chicken leg quarters will be ideal. Use 2-inch knob of ginger if you like ginger. If you want to make this dish restaurant quality, treat your chicken with baking soda per the instructions here.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 387Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 13gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 109mgSodium 1036mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 38g