What is Indian Pizza?
I have always wanted to make pizza at home so recently I asked my friend A to come bake with me. We decided to make an Asian-style pizza and came up with the idea of Indian pizza, using chicken tikka masala as the topping.
Chicken Tikka Masala is a delicious Indian recipe and makes a killer topping for the pizza. The exotic tastes of the spices and the chicken pairs beautifully with the cheesy pizza. It is scrumptious and we can’t stop eating it.
Main Ingredients for Chicken Tikka Masala Pizza
This chicken tikka masala pizza recipe calls for a store-bought pizza crust. The ingredient list is a bit long and it does take some time to make this pizza but trust me, you won’t find this kind of pizza anywhere else.
- Pizza crust
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- Garam masala
- Tomato sauce
Frequently Asked Questions
What does tikka masala taste like?
Generally, tikka masala is a cream and tomato based sauce made with plenty of spices. To describe the flavor, it’s earthy, warm, and a little spicy.
What is the difference between masala and curry?
Garam masala is not based on turmeric, which is found in curry. Garam masala tends to be sweeter and contains a lot of other spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon.
How many calories?
This recipe has 307 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This dish is best served as the main entree. For a wholesome Indian meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 10 oz skinless and boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, deseeded
- Salt to taste
- 1 12-inches store-bought pizza crust or three (3) 7-inches mini pizza crusts
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Handful of coriander leaves/cilantro, chopped, save some for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- In a bowl, marinade the chicken with the Marinade for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
- Line a layer of aluminum foil in a baking pan for grilling. Spread the marinated chicken in a single layer on the pan, discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken at 450F for 6-7 minutes, turning at half time.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the Tomato Sauce and Spice Mix in separate bowls. Remove the chicken from the pan when it is done and discard the juice.
- Heat a small sauce pan and melt the butter. Sauté the garlic and jalapeno until aromatic. Pour in the Spice Mix and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Remove the jalapeno and discard.
- Add in the Tomato Sauce and stir well to mix. Sprinkle salt to taste and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens, another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the chicken meat into the sauce and mix well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450F. Place the pizza crust on a pizza pan and brush lightly with olive oil. Spread the sauce/gravy on the pizza crust. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese. Arrange the chicken on the pizza. Top it with the sliced onions, chopped cilantro and the remaining cheese.
- Reduce the temperature to 425F. Bake the pizza for 8-10 minutes. Remove the pizza from the pan when is done and garnish the remaining chopped cilantro.
- Bake according to the instructions on your pizza crust. Depending on the type of crusts you buy, the time and temperature may be slightly different.
- If you prefer, you can stir fry the chicken instead of grilling it.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 103mgSodium 791mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 30g