Creamed Spinach Recipe
Creamed spinach is a popular side dish that goes well with steaks, roasts, or seafood. It is easy and quick to prepare with only a few simple ingredients: fresh spinach, butter, garlic, onion, heavy whipping cream, milk, salt, and shredded cheese.
Spinach and cream sauce is the best combination ever. The sauce is rich and cheesy which helps balance out the bitter taste of fresh spinach. What’s more, this homemade creamed spinach even has golden brown baked cheese on top. Dipping bread into this cheesy, creamy spinach is also delicious and irresistible.
Try this easy recipe and make restaurant-quality creamed spinach at home in less than 20 minutes.
Why This Recipe Works?
It’s a quick and easy recipe that can be served as either an appetizer or a side dish for your dinner.
This is also a low-carb and keto-friendly recipe that fits perfectly for someone who needs a special diet.
This creamed spinach recipe is also perfect for any occasion. Double the ingredients and make a large serving for parties or special events.
Ingredients for Creamed Spinach
This homemade creamed spinach is prepared with fresh spinach, unsalted butter, garlic, onion, heavy whipping cream, milk, all-purpose flour, salt, and shredded cheese.
How to Make Creamed Spinach?
First, prepare the spinach by boiling it. If using Asian spinach, please rinse under running water to remove the soil. (If using baby spinach, cook them directly without rinsing.) Blanch spinach in boiling water and then shock it in ice water.
Next, prepare the cream sauce in the skillet with the rest of the ingredients. Cook the sauce until it thickens, then add spinach to it. Gently stir and transfer to a baking dish.
Finally, evenly sprinkle more shredded cheese on top and broil before serving.
For the best result, please follow my tips:
- Spinach cooks fast so you don’t want to overcook it. Bring water to a boil and cook the spinach for less than 1 minute. Quickly drain in a colander and transfer to a bowl of cold water (or run cold water over them). Cooling spinach in ice-cold water will help to retain a bright green color after cooking.
- Baking the creamed spinach with cheese on top is an option for this recipe. If you don’t like the spinach to be baked, add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the sauce instead and skip the last step.
Frequently Asked Question
Yes, this recipe works for either fresh spinach or frozen spinach. Thaw the frozen spinach in a colander and run water over it. Once thawed, squeeze out the excess water as much as possible. Continue with step two of the recipe.
Add one tablespoon of all-purpose flour and stir well with onion and garlic. Pour in heavy cream and milk and bring the sauce to a simmer until it thickens.
If the sauce is still too watery, cook it for a few more minutes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 355 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 18 oz (500g) fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Rinse and remove the stems from spinach. Bring water to a boil in a pot, cook spinach for under 1 minute and drain them with a colander. Transfer the spinach to a bowl of cold water and cool down for 2 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the excess water from spinach as much as possible. Chop the spinach into small pieces and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet (or a non-stick frying pan) with medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, saute until golden brown and aromatic. Add all-purpose flour and stir well.
- Pour in milk and heavy cream, stirring constantly. Simmer down the sauce for 2 minutes until it thickens.
- Lower the heat, add spinach, half of the shredded cheese and salt. Keep stirring until the cheese melt. Then, turn off the heat immediately.
- Transfer the dish to a baking dish and evenly sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese on top. Set up the oven to broil, bake the creamed spinach for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove dish from the oven and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Ytower
Amount Per Serving Calories 355Total Fat 24.9gSaturated Fat 15.1gCholesterol 77mgSodium 845mgCarbohydrates 20.5gFiber 6.9gSugar 6.5gProtein 17.8g