Pan Seared Salmon Recipe
This is an easy pan seared salmon with the simplest ingredients. This is one of the best salmon recipes, it tastes just like Gordon Ramsay.
It’s nicely cooked on the outside with crispy bits while the interior is perfectly tender and moist.
What’s more, this pan seared salmon recipe takes minutes to come together for dinner tonight.
Other Recipes You Might Like
This homemade recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Salmon fillets with skin
- Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper
- Lemon juice
How to Pan Sear Salmon?
It’s very easy to pan sear salmon with skin in a pan. I recommend using a cast-iron skillet for the best result.
First of all, you will need oil or butter. Any cooking oil or butter is fine. I prefer to use unsalted butter and add salt to taste.
First of all, heat up a skillet on medium heat and add oil or butter. Always pan sear the salmon with its skin down.
For the seasoning, you just need salt and ground black pepper on top of the salmon.
For the best flavors, always use cloves of peeled garlic and some herbs such as thymes or rosemary to infuse the salmon.
Pan sear without flipping the salmon, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
To add flavors, I like to use some cayenne pepper and lemon juice. A perfectly seared salmon fillet with skin should be just cooked on the inside but slightly charred with crispy edges on the outside.
Follow my fail-proof secret techniques and tips below for delicious salmon dinner every time.
- To make salmon fillet with skin, it’s best to use a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet. The salmon will be cooked evenly.
- Use butter. Butter will turn into brown butter while cooking, lending an earthy note to the salmon.
- Add some heat with cayenne pepper or smoked paprika.
- Herbs such as thyme or rosemary will cut the fatty and fishy taste from salmon.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is 117 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with rice or spaghetti. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Pan Seared Salmon
- 10 oz. salmon
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 4 sprigs of thymes
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- Lemon juice
- Salt (to taste)
- Rinse the salmon with water and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a skillet (cast-iron preferred) on medium heat. Add the butter, let it melt before adding the salmon (skin side down). Add the garlic and thymes.
- Pan sear the salmon, uninterrupted, for about 1 minute. Turn the salmon over and pan sear the other side, for another minute. Make sure you also turn the garlic over to avoid burning. Spoon the butter over the salmon with a spoon while cooking.
- Flip the salmon over (skin side down again) and add the cayenne pepper on top of the salmon. Add a squirt of fresh lemon juice, a pinch of salt to taste. Turn off heat and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.