Inspired by Bee’s Cantonese Beef Stew, this crock pot version gives you time to step away from the kitchen to tend to other responsibilities.
Hours later, you can come back to a steaming hot pot of filling stew. This dish, reminiscent of Bee’s travels, makes you feel as though you’re taking a stroll down the busy streets of Hong Kong.
In this version, I added freshly sliced ginger to bring depth to the broth. A bit peppery and sweet, ginger rounds out the stew, while creating a bit of spiciness.
My favorite part is that the extended cook time allows the flavors to bloom and adds a beautiful aroma to the tender beef.
Other changes I made to the original recipe include switching out the Shaoxing wine with Chinese rice wine, a product I always have on hand, omitting the beancurd sticks and using ground black pepper instead of white pepper because I wanted a stronger taste.
However, depending on your preference, you can adjust the ingredients accordingly to achieve the flavor you want.
This is an easy recipe that you can make for the entire family. If you are a working mother, just shove everything in the crock pot or slow cooker before you leave work and you will come back to a hearty, delicious, and aromatic stew in the evening.
Serve it with some steamed rice and you have a perfect and nutritious meal for dinner!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 120 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (10 g ) ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (150 g) mini carrots
- 1/2 pound (230 g) bottom eye roast or bottom round roast, diced into 1" cubes
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine, (15 mL)
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- In a crock pot, add all the ingredients in the listed order for the exception of the green onions.
- Turn the crock pot on low and allow the stew to cook for 8 hours. Halfway through the cook time, stir the ingredients to evenly season the ingredients.
- Serve over white rice and top with green onions, if using.
For a quicker cook time, increase the crock pot temperature to high and cook for 4 hours.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 120Total Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 32mgSodium 1632mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 14g