My son has a completely different palate than us. While I cook mostly chicken as the main protein for dinners, little G dislikes chicken and will try to avoid eating chicken every time I try to sneak in some in his rice.
He loves beef, and his favorite beef dish is Korean Kalbi. So naturally he prefers beef stir-fries instead of chicken stir-fries.
Other than everyone’s favorite Mongolian beef, sometimes I changed my recipe a little bit to incorporate onion into the beef stir-fry to make this super yummy onion scallion beef.
I just think that it makes the overall dish so much tastier. As we all know, onion imparts a sweet flavor once it’s cooked and caramelized, plus it adds extra texture to this onion scallion beef recipe.
For Chinese recipes, it’s very important to velvet the protein so every bite is silky smooth and the meat is tender.
There is no exception with this recipe as a simple cornstarch would seal in the “juice” of the meat so every bite is pleasing and so inviting.
Onion scallion beef is a super easy recipe to make at home and it practically takes 20 minutes from prep to dinner table.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 376 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with steamed rice.
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
Onion Scallion Beef Recipe
Onion scallion beef – tender beef stir-fry in yummy Chinese brown sauce. Super easy recipe that takes only 20 mins.
- 10 oz beef tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 stalks scallion, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1Marinate the beef slices with all the ingredients in Marinade for 10 minutes.
- 2Heat up a wok with 1 tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the marinated beef until they are half-done. Dish out and set aside. Drain the bloody water from the beef.
- 3Heat up the remaining oil and stir-fry the garlic and onion until aromatic. Add the beef back into the wok and do a few quick stirs before adding the Sauce. Continue to stir-fry until the beef slices are completely cooked, then add the scallions into the wok. Do a few quick stirs, add salt and more sugar to taste, dish out and serve hot with steamed rice.