What is better than Garlic Butter Shrimp? Asian Garlic Butter Shrimp! Imagine plump and succulent shrimp cooked with minced garlic, butter and amazing Asian flavors.
The sauce is absolutely addictive and every bite is bursting with the briny taste of the sea. It’s delightful!
The amazing flavors come from the simple ingredients of garlic, butter, fish sauce and black pepper.
It’s made with fresh anchovies and salt; it’s an indispensable ingredient in many Asian dishes.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Fish sauce is so common these days that you ought to have it in your kitchen pantry. The smell might be pungent (just don’t smell it!) but it adds amazing flavors to the food.
You can get fish sauce in regular grocery stores, in the International food aisle. A small bottle will go a long way. My preferred brand is the three crabs brand or Red Boat (which you can get at Whole Foods, Walmart or online).
If you absolutely can’t stand fish sauce, you can make this dish with oyster sauce, which delivers similar flavors.
For this recipe, I strongly recommend Trader Joe’s Wild Argentinian Red Shrimp. The shrimps are peeled and deveined; they are big, meaty, taste sweet with a nice firm texture.
A one-pound package is only $9.99. Just look at the pictures here, don’t you just want to sink your teeth into them?
This recipe takes only 15 minutest to make. You can serve it as a main entree, as an appetizer, or as a side dish for rice or noodles.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 288 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 1/2 lbs. (0.6 kg) shelled and deveined shrimp
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 4 slices lemon wedges
- Thaw the frozen shrimp. Rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat up a wok or skillet on medium heat. Add the melted butter, follow by the garlic. Saute the garlic for 10 seconds and add the shrimp. Stir the shrimp back and forth a few times before adding the fish sauce, sugar, ground black pepper and cayenne pepper, if using.
- Stir and cook, add chopped scallions to the shrimp. Squeeze some lemon juice on top of the shrimp and serve immediately.
I recommend Trader Joe's Wild Argentinian Red Shrimp for this recipe. You can also use any shelled or deveined shrimp.
You can use oyster sauce in lieu of fish sauce. You will need about 1 heaping tablespoon of oyster sauce and add salt to taste.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 288Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 458mgSodium 2030mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 35g