Napa Cabbage Recipes
What is Napa cabbage?
Napa cabbage is a variety of Chinese cabbage originating from China. The Chinese name is 大白菜 da bai cai) or 紹菜. In western countries, it’s called Chinese cabbage.
Napa cabbage is a very common vegetable in Asian cooking and widely consumed in many Asian countries, for example: Greater China (Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau), Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia.
This is one of the easiest Napa cabbage recipes. It’s an authentic Napa cabbage stir fry with mushroom and garlic that is better than Chinese takeout.
How to Cook Napa Cabbage?
Napa cabbage has very mild flavors, with white stems and some leafy parts at the end of the white stems.
The vegetable has a crisp texture, with a nice crunch and bite on the white stems.
As a result, the best way of cooking is an easy Chinese stir fry with simple ingredients:
- Mushroom, for example: shiitake mushroom, buna shimeji mushroom, white mushroom, or brown mushroom.
- Oyster sauce
For the best result, use a wok for the stir fry. If you don’t have a wok, you may use a skillet.
First, heat up the wok or skillet on high heat with cooking oil. Stir fry the garlic until aromatic before adding the Chinese cabbage and mushroom.
Next, add oyster sauce, stir well and you’re done!
Napa Cabbage Nutrition
Raw Napa cabbage is packed of nutrition and health benefits. Here are the nutrition facts, provided by USDA.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Napa Cabbage Salad?
Yes, you sure can.
Due to the mild flavor and crisp texture, this cabbage is great as a salad.
To make salad, cut the vegetables into small pieces and serve it raw with your favorite dressing as a slaw.
You may add pine nuts as a topping to the slaw, if you like.
Can I Make Kimchi?
Absolutely yes! The most popular Kimchi is made of Napa cabbage.
Can I Make Napa Cabbage Soup?
Yes. You can certainly make soup. In fact, one of my favorite recipes is Shabu Shabu and the main vegetable in the soup is Napa cabbage.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 60 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with Napa Cabbage?
Serve this dish with other Chinese recipes. For a Chinese weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 cups (8 oz. / 225 g) chopped Napa cabbage
- 4 oz. (113 g) mushroom
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- Prepare the ingredients. Trim off the bottom part of the white stems and cut the Napa cabbage into pieces horizontally. Trim off the bottom part of the mushroom.
- Heat up a wok or skillet on high heat. Add the cooking oil and stir fry the garlic until aromatic or light brown. Remove half of the garlic from the wok or skillet, set aside.
- Add the napa cabbage and mushroom, stir fry for about 1 minute. Add the oyster sauce, stir to combine well.
- DO NOT overcook Napa cabbage. The white stems should retain a "crunchy" texture. Dish out and top the fried garlic on top of the dish. Serve immediately.
You may add shrimp or dried shrimp to the Napa cabbage stir fry. If you use shrimp or dried shrimp, add it after the minced garlic.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 60Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 9mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 1g