Difference between Broccoli and Broccolini
Broccoli and broccolini are two different vegetables. Broccolini is the hybrid of broccoli and Chinese mustard green (gai lan). It’s similar to broccoli in the sense it has florets, albeit much smaller.
The stems is also longer and thinner, similar to gai lan. The texture and taste is more like gai lan than broccoli. Personally, I love broccolini more than broccoli.
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Cook Broccolini
You can get broccolini all year round at any regular supermarkets, with its peak season from October to April.
The best way to cook broccolini is a simple saute or stir fry as the cooking method retains its vibrant green color and amazing texture.
For me, Garlic Parmesan Broccolini is an easy and quick recipe that delivers amazing results. The broccoli is perfectly cooked, with garlic and topped with Parmesan cheese.
Every bite is a nice crunch and the Parmesan cheese adds a nice nuance to the vegetables.
You might love it better than broccoli. Enjoy!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 136 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This meal is best served as a side dish to your meat, chicken, or pasta main dish. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) broccolini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 wedges lemon , optional
- Rinse the broccolini with cold water and trim 1/2 inch off the bottom part of the stems.
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute the garlic until they turn light brown before adding the broccolini. Toss and stir the broccolini and garlic with a spatula.
- Add salt to taste. Once the stems of the broccolini become tender, remove from heat. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese and lemon wedges (optional). Serve immediately.
It's best to use a block Parmesan cheese and freshly shred it on top of the broccolini. However, store-bought shredded Parmesan cheese will be great, too.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 136Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 3mgSodium 204mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 10g