Lobster Roll Recipe
Lobster roll is my favorite summer recipes. There is something about those New England split-top hot dog buns, perfectly toasted and stuffed with mayonnaise-laden lobster salad.
This is the best lobster roll recipe ever with fresh, succulent, juicy lobster claws and lobster meat. A bite into the lobster and the crispy bun transport me to New England.
Eating out, each lobster sandwich could easily cost you $20 to $25 but homemade could save you half the money. I spent $20 on this recipe and made three red lobster rolls.
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Make Lobster Rolls?
Here are the step by steps:
- Boil and cook the live lobsters. Crack the shells, let cool and cut the lobster meat and lobster claws into pieces,
- Season the lobster with mayonnaise and the seasoning ingredients: honey, lemon juice, salt and ground black pepper.
- Prepare the buns by toasting the sides of the buns on skillet.
- Stuff the lobster salad inside the bun.
- Buy live lobsters for this recipe. Live lobsters impart the best flavors as the lobster meat is so sweet, juicy and delicious. You can get live lobsters in many supermarkets or seafood stores.
- Buy frozen lobster tail or cooked lobster if you can’t find live lobsters.
- If you can find New England split-top hot dog buns, please buy them by all means.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Bread Do You Use for Lobster Rolls?
It’s not easy to find Maine or New England style split-top hot dog buns in regular food stores. Amazon, some Target and Walmart stores might carry them.
You can use regular hot dog buns and just trim off both sides of the buns a little bit.
Lobster rolls are so good because the sides of the buns are coated with butter and then toasted to golden brown. This is the secret so every bite is buttery and crusty, just like the best in Boston!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This lobster roll recipe is only 325 calories per roll or per serving.
What to Serve with Lobster Rolls?
This meal is best served with a side dish of potato chips and a cold summer beverage such as sparkling watermelon lemonade.
For summer entertaining with friends with family, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 4 cups water, for boiling (Use 1 1/2 cups of water per 1 lb. of lobster)
- 2 lbs. (0.1 kg) live small lobster or 1/2 lb. (0.2 kg) cooked lobster meat
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped chives
- 3 hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Bring the water to boil. Add the lobsters, cover, and cook until they turn bright read, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the lobster, set aside and let cool. Crack the lobster shells, pick the meat from the tail and claws. Cut the lobster meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the mayonnaise, honey, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and chives together, set aside.
- Trim about 1/4 inch off both sides of the hot dog buns. Spread the butter on the sides. Heat up a skillet on medium heat and cook the sides until they are nicely toasted and become golden brown. Fill the inside of the buns with the lobsters. Serve immediately.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 325Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 133mgSodium 690mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 19g