What is Moo Goo Gai Pan?
Moo Goo Gai Pan or 蘑菇鸡板 is a classic Chinese stir-fry dish. It’s basically chicken and mushrooms stir-fry in a tasty Chinese white sauce, with vegetables such as carrots, mushrooms and sugar snap peas
In the Cantonese dialect, Moo Goo means mushroom and Gai Pan means chicken slices. So basically, it’s a mushroom and chicken stir-fry dish.
What is Moo Goo Gai Pan Sauce Made of?
In Chinese recipes, there are two types of sauce: brown sauce and white sauce. Moo Goo Gai Pan sauce is made with the mouthwatering Chinese white sauce. The white stir-fry sauce calls for the following ingredients:
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Chinese Shaoxing wine or rice wine
- Corn starch
- Sugar and ground white pepper
Is It Healthy?
Yes, this meal is absolutely healthy and low in calories, only 238 calories per serving.
Chicken and mushroom pair well together but this American-Chinese classic is more vibrant and filled with colorful vegetables such as snow peas, carrots, bamboo shoot slices, and sometimes baby corn and water chestnut slices are also added to the dish. The dish tastes very light, refreshing and delicious!
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 10 oz. (300 g) chicken breast fillet, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 3 tablepoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mixed vegetables, (snow peas/sugar snap peas and carrots)
- 1 cup white mushroom and canned straw mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- In a bowl, prepare the Marinade. Lightly beat the egg white, add the salt and ground white pepper. Marinate the chicken with the mixture. Set aside. This will ensure a smooth and silky texture when the chicken is cooked. Discard any excess Marinade.
- Mix all the ingredients in the White Sauce together. Stir to combine well. Set aside.
- In a wok or skillet on high heat, add two tablespoons oil until heated. Add the chicken and stir-fry until the chicken is a little over half done, for about 45 seconds, or until the chicken turns white on the surface. Dish out, drain on paper towels and set aside. Clean and rinse the wok or skillet.
- Heat up the wok or skillet on high heat again. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, stir-fry the garlic until light brown. Toss in the mixed vegetables and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute. Add in the mushrooms, stir to mix well.
- Add the chicken and the White Sauce. Stir to combine well with all the ingredients in the wok or skillet, about 1-2 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Dish out and serve immediately with steamed rice.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 253Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 90mgSodium 1394mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 35g