Chicken satay is one of the most popular Asian appetizers and everyone loves them.
Now, how to make chicken satay at home?
It’s very easy and I have an authentic and the best chicken satay recipe for you, including the recipe for satay sauce!
My chicken satay recipe has been tried and tested by many readers. They are absolutely mouthwatering and delightful. Enjoy!
Malaysian Chicken Satay Is the Best!
There are many versions of satay recipes from Asia, but let me assure you that the best satay in the world comes from Malaysia, my home country.
Called “Satay Ayam” in Malaysian language, any real foodies who have been to the entire Southeast Asia region will agree they are the best!
While Thai chicken sate are tasty, they are inferior to the scrumptious and rich flavors of Malaysian chicken satay.
Chicken Satay Marinade
The marinade is the most important part of the recipe. The best satay are marinated with lots of spices and ingredients, such as the following:
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander powder
- Chili powder
- Salt and sugar
Traditionally, home cooks pound all the ingredients above with a mortar and pestle until it becomes a fine paste.
Mix the meat (either chicken, beef or mutton) with the marinade overnight to ensure that that every skewer is s bursting with robust flavors.
Peanut Satay Sauce
This dipping sauce is a must for satay. To make the sauce, please check out my peanut sauce recipe.
For the best and most authentic flavors, please follow my secrets and techniques below:
- You can use a combination of chicken breasts, chicken thighs and legs. Cut each piece of the chicken meat into uniform pieces.
- Marinate the chicken overnight with the marinade for deeper flavors.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for at least two hours. This will prevent the bamboo skewers from burning on the grill.
- Use a pair of scissors to snip off the over charred and burned bits on the satay.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Chicken Satay Healthy?
Yes, satay is very healthy as the spices used in the marinade have a lot of nutrients and health benefits, for example: turmeric.
Can You Bake in the Oven?
You can certainly bake satay in the oven, or pan-fried on a skillet. They will taste delicious.
Can I Pan Fry on Skillet?
Yes, you can. For the best result, use a cast-iron grill pan to pan fry and cook on the stove top.
Can I Freeze Uncooked Chicken Satay?
Yes, you can. Just wrap uncooked and raw skewers with a few sheets of aluminum foil tightly and freeze in the freezer.
Thaw them at room temperature before grilling.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe serves six people and the calories are 263 per serving.
What to Serve with Chicken Satay Skewers?
They are best served with Peanut sauce, sliced cucumber and cut onions. The cucumber and onion clean the palate between each skewer.
In Malaysia and Indonesia, rice cakes or ketupat are common. The rice cakes are cut into bite-sized cubes for serving.
If you are having an outdoor grilling or BBQ party, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) boneless and skinless chicken thigh and leg meat
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
- 1 cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- oil, for basting
Chicken Satay Marinade:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 small shallots or pearl onions, peeled
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- Cut the chicken meat into small cubes. Set aside.
- Blend all the he Marinade ingredients in a food processor. Add a little water if needed.
- For the chicken satay dipping sauce, please click here: satay peanut sauce recipe.
- Combine the chicken and the Marinade together, stir to mix well. Marinate the chicken for 6 hours in the fridge, or best overnight. When ready, thread 3-4 pieces of the chicken meat onto the bamboo skewers.
- Grill the chicken satay skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side until the meat is fully cooked and the surface is nicely charred, on both sides. Baste and brush with some oil while grilling. Serve hot with peanut sauce the fresh cucumber pieces and onions.
Watch the cooking video on this page for step-by-step guide.
If you prefer white meat, you can use 2 lbs. or 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
Click for Peanut Sauce recipe.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 144mgSodium 727mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 31g