(Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!)
I have been asked too many times how to make a simple Chinese greens dish ala Chinese restaurant style…so here it is, the secrets, tips, and recipe to make all your vegetables taste and picture perfect, just like top Chinese/Cantonese chefs do.
Chinese greens with oyster sauce is an easy dish to prepare but not many can make it right. I have seen too many overcooked vegetable dishes served—at homes and even at restaurants.
Once you grasp the basic techniques and skills of making this dish, you can pretty much cook any vegetables or Chinese greens you want—choy sum, kai lan (Chinese mustard greens), bok choy/baby bok choy, or any green leafy vegetables.
Without further ado, I unveil the following secrets, tips and tricks after the jump….
Rasa Malaysia’s Guide to Making Restaurant-style Chinese Greens with Oyster Sauce:
- Buy fresh vegetables – select the freshest greens available in your market. Such as the baby bok choy shown in my pictures.
- Use garlic oil – I use a lot of garlic oil in my Chinese recipes. It adds a lot of depth to simple dishes and infuses the veggie with garlicky flavor and aroma.
- Use cooking oil wisely – Add a drop or two cooking oil into the water before blanching the vegetables. The cooking oil coats the vegetables so they look fresh and green, not purple.
- Don’t kill your vegetables, they are already dead! – Don’t overcook your vegetables by leaving them too long in the boiling water. Perfectly blanched vegetables should be somewhat crunchy, not limp and wilted.
- Discard excess water from the vegetables before plating/serving – Drain the water from the vegetables so it doesn’t dilute the sauce. Excess water in the vegetables will make your vegetable dish watery.
Now that you have the chops, complete your Chinese meals with a plate of fresh, green, and delectable Chinese greens. Trust me, vegetables never look or tasted this good from now on. :)
CHINESE RECIPES: POPULAR & ALL-TIME FAVORITES
|Chow Mein||Broccoli Beef||Sweet and Sour Pork||Egg Drop Soup|
|Kung Pao Chicken||Cashew Chicken||Fried Rice||Orange Chicken|
|Crab Rangoon||Mongolian Beef|
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Latest Giveaways: Enter to Win
SUBSCRIBE TO RASA MALAYSIA NEWSLETTER AND GET EASY AND DELICIOUS RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX. If you try my recipe, please use hashtag #rasamalaysia on social media so I can see your creations! Follow me on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for new recipes, giveaways and more.