Chinese Shrimp with Lobster Sauce
I received a few requests from my readers on how to prepare Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, a very popular Americanized Chinese dish.
Shrimp is always a great dish to serve, as the Cantonese pronunciation of 虾 sounds like 哈, which means laughter or happiness.
So, here I share with you my Shrimp with Lobster Sauce recipe, which you can prepare to celebrate Chinese New Year, or any other holiday.
Chinese New Year is all about feasting, eating lots of good food that signifies great fortune, happiness, and prosperity.
Other Recipes You Might Like
What is Shrimp with Lobster Sauce Made of?
One thing that I need to clarify is that no actual lobster is used in this dish. The name actually originates from the use of fermented black beans in the sauce, which the Cantonese use in creating lobster.
I think whoever invented the dish is a smart marketing whiz, as it sounds so much more delicious with the word lobster in its name.
Is Shrimp with Lobster Sauce Healthy?
This recipe is very healthy, with one serving being only 173 calories.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 12 oz. (340 g) raw large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- salt and sugar to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1- inch (2 cm) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine, Shaoxing wine
- 3/4 cup store-bought frozen vegetables, peas and carrots
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Lightly season the shrimp with salt and sugar to taste.
- In a wok, heat up the oil on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in the ginger and garlic. Stir-fry until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the shrimp into the wok and stir-fry until half-cooked or surface turns opaque. Pour in the chicken broth and Chinese cooking wine. Let it boil.
- Add the frozen vegetables and stir to combine. Add the white pepper, soy sauce, salt and sugar to taste.
- Prepare the cornstarch mixture by adding the cornstarch and water, mix well. When the chicken broth is boiling, gently pour in the cornstarch mixture while stirring.
- Bring it back to a boil, swirl the beaten egg and immediately stir 3 times with a pair of chopsticks. When the egg white begins to form into silken threads, quickly turn off the heat.
- Dish out to serving plate. Best served with warm rice.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 173Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 107mgSodium 654mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 15g