Sweet and Sour Shrimp
Chinese Sweet and Sour Shrimp is one of the easiest shrimp recipes to make at home. This is a simple stir-fry dish with everyday ingredients. This delicious homemade recipe is best with rice or noodles.
Sweet and sour sauce is one of the most popular Chinese sauces and it works great with just about any protein, for example: sweet and sour pork, sweet and sour chicken. Sweet and sour shrimp is definitely my favorite because I just love shrimp.
There are a variety recipes to make sweet and sour sauce but I am going to teach you the easiest way with pantry ingredients such as ketchup, soy sauce and sugar.
It’s that simple but the taste is authentic and absolutely delightful. It’s better than your regular Chinese takeout for sure!
For shrimp, I like to get frozen, shelled and deveined but with tail on. You can certainly use the ones without the tail. It’s totally up to you.
Serve the Sweet and Sour Shrimp with steamed rice or noodles and you will have the most amazing dinner.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 288 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 lb. shelled and deveined shrimp, tail-on
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Chopped scallions
- White sesame
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce for example: Sriracha (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Rinse and drain the shrimp, pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Sweet and Sour Sauce together. Stir to combine well. Set aside.
- Heat up a skillet with the cooking oil on high heat. When it's heated, add the garlic and stir fry until the garlic turns light brown. Add in the shrimp, stir fry until the surface turns white. Add in the Sweet and Sour Sauce and let cook for 1 minute, or until the shrimp is cooked through. Add more water to loosen the Sauce if it dries up or becomes too thick.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and white sesame and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.