Sweet and Sour Shrimp
Chinese Sweet and Sour Shrimp is one of the easiest shrimp recipes to make at home. This is a simple stir-fry dish with everyday ingredients. This delicious homemade recipe is best with rice or noodles.
Sweet and sour sauce is one of the most popular Chinese sauces and it works great with just about any protein, for example: sweet and sour pork, sweet and sour chicken. Sweet and sour shrimp is definitely my favorite because I just love shrimp.
There are a variety recipes to make sweet and sour sauce but I am going to teach you the easiest way with pantry ingredients such as ketchup, soy sauce and sugar.
It’s that simple but the taste is authentic and absolutely delightful. It’s better than your regular Chinese takeout for sure!
For shrimp, I like to get frozen, shelled and deveined but with tail on. You can certainly use the ones without the tail. It’s totally up to you.
Serve the Sweet and Sour Shrimp with steamed rice or noodles and you will have the most amazing dinner.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 288 calories per serving.
Pairs well with:
Sweet and Sour Shrimp Recipe
Sweet and Sour Shrimp with plump and juicy shrimp in mouthwatering sweet and sour sauce. This easy Chinese shrimp stir-fry recipe is amazing with steamed rice or noodles.
- 1 lb. shelled and deveined shrimp, tail-on
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Chopped scallions
- White sesame
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce for example: Sriracha, (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1Rinse and drain the shrimp, pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- 2Mix all the ingredients for the Sweet and Sour Sauce together. Stir to combine well. Set aside.
- 3Heat up a skillet with the cooking oil on high heat. When it's heated, add the garlic and stir fry until the garlic turns light brown. Add in the shrimp, stir fry until the surface turns white. Add in the Sweet and Sour Sauce and let cook for 1 minute, or until the shrimp is cooked through. Add more water to loosen the Sauce if it dries up or becomes too thick.
- 4Garnish with chopped scallions and white sesame and serve immediately.