When the weather is scorching hot, I like to make myself some mint and lemon tea. I went to the farmers market last week and got a whole bunch of fresh mint.
There were so much mint that I couldn’t use up, so I decided to make this Thai chili chicken using the leftover mint leaves, a recipe that I adapted from my favorite Thai cookbook “Thai Cooking Made Easy.”
Many people love Thai food because every bite is bursting with flavors.
I love that the mint leaves impart the iconic minty aroma and nuance to the chicken dish, while the coconut cream lends a rich note to the dish.
The bamboo shoots are a nice addition to go with the chicken, and every bite there is a crunch from the bamboo shoots.
When buying bamboo shoots, you can always buy the vacuumed packed fresh bamboo shoots, or canned bamboo shoots. If you like your dish extra spicy, use an extra red chili, or more chili sauce in the sauce.
Finally, squeeze some fresh lime juice to the chicken right before serving, and you will have a wonderful dish that is tasty and wonderful with steamed rice!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 337 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 6 oz. (170 g) chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 cup bamboo shoots, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 red chili, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 squirt lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce, I used Rooster brand chili garlic sauce
- 4 tablespoons thick coconut milk or coconut cream
- Mix the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with cooking oil and add garlic until aromatic.
- Add in the chicken and stir-fry for a couple of minutes, add the bamboo shoots, chili, and mint leaves and stir fry until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the Sauce and stir evenly. Add a few squirts of lime juice, dish out and serve with steamed rice.
Adapted from Thai Cooking Made Easy
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 337Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 17gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 54mgSodium 1597mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 22g