The Best Thai Chicken Curry
On my Rasa Malaysia Facebook fan page, a reader asked me how to prepare Thai chicken curry with bamboo shoots, like the ones commonly served at Thai restaurants here in the United States.
It was a coincidence that I had some leftover bamboo shoots in the refrigerator so I made a small pot of Thai chicken curry.
Ingredients for Thai Chicken Curry
- Red curry paste
- Boneless and skinless chicken breast
- Coconut milk
- Bamboo shoots
- Red bell pepper
- Palm sugar
- Fish sauce
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Best Bamboo Shoots to Buy?
Some readers commented that some bamboo shoots have a very strong and funky smell. The safest option is to buy canned bamboo shoots, which have been cooked and sliced into pieces. They are available at most supermarkets and Asian grocery stores, or online.
How Many Calories?
This recipe has 155 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This dish is best served with white rice. For a wholesome Thai meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste, I used Mae Ploy red curry paste
- 8 oz. (226 g) boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 80 ml coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 oz. (85 g) canned bamboo shoots
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- Heat up a small pot with the cooking oil. Saute the red curry paste until aromatic. Add the chicken into the pot and stir well with the curry paste. Add the coconut milk, water, long beans, bamboo shoots, red bell pepper and bring the curry to boil, about 5 minutes. Add fish sauce, palm sugar, and let boil for another minute or so, dish out and serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 155Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 36mgSodium 104mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 13g