Originally published in May 2010. Updated with new photos.
One of my favorite things to do on the weekends is having dinner with good friends at a Japanese izakaya or yakitori restaurant. The casual gastro-pub settings and the scrumptious fares offered at these restaurants have had me hooked since my first trip to Tokyo many years ago.
I just love yakitori, which is Japanese grilled chicken skewers over charcoal fire, with a simple salt or tare (soy sauce) seasoning.
Here is my yakitori recipe. It takes only 20 minutes to make these yakitori. They will be great for the Spring or Summer parties!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 284 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb boneless and skinless chicken leg meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- Scallions, white part only, cut into 2-in lengths
- Bamboo skewers, soaked before grilling
- Sea salt
Yakitori Tare Sauce:
- Add all the ingredients of the Tare Sauce into a small sauce pan and bring it to boil. Transfer out to a small bowl and set aside.
- Thread 3 pieces of chicken meat onto a bamboo skewer, separating each piece with the scallion.
- Heat up a BBQ grill and sprinkle a wee bit of salt sparingly on the surface of the chicken. Turn the skewers and do the same on the other side. Keep turning the chicken to make sure they are cooked and charred evenly. When the chicken is almost done, dip the chicken skewer into the tare sauce and grill it for about 30-40 seconds on both sides. Serve immediately.
I love eating my yakitori with bottled togarashi, mixed chili pepper for an extra kick.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 284Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 80mgSodium 1378mgCarbohydrates 25gSugar 17gProtein 16g