Originally published in May 2010. Updated with new photos.
Other Recipes You Might Like
One of my favorite things to do on the weekends is having dinner with good friends at a Japanese izakaya or yakitori restaurant. The casual gastro-pub settings and the scrumptious fares offered at these restaurants have had me hooked since my first trip to Tokyo many years ago.
I just love yakitori, which is Japanese grilled chicken skewers over charcoal fire, with a simple salt or tare (soy sauce) seasoning.
Here is my yakitori recipe. It takes only 20 minutes to make these yakitori. They will be great for the Spring or Summer parties!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 284 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Bamboo skewers soaked before grilling
- Add all the ingredients of the Tare Sauce into a small sauce pan and bring it to boil. Transfer out to a small bowl and set aside.
- Thread 3 pieces of chicken meat onto a bamboo skewer, separating each piece with the scallion.
- Heat up a BBQ grill and sprinkle a wee bit of salt sparingly on the surface of the chicken. Turn the skewers and do the same on the other side. Keep turning the chicken to make sure they are cooked and charred evenly.
- When the chicken is almost done, dip the chicken skewer into the tare sauce and grill it for about 30-40 seconds on both sides. Serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.