Mango Chutney http://rasamalaysia.com/mango-chutney/
March 21st, 2011 28 Comments

Mango Chutney

For the longest time, I don’t quite get the idea of chutney and I certainly have no idea how to make it. That’s the reason why I have invited Kulsum of Journey Kitchen to share her Mango Chutney recipe with me. Journey Kitchen is another Indian blog that I have discovered recently; there are just so much to learn from the blog about Indian cuisine and also Bohra cuisine. Please welcome Journey Kitchen to Rasa Malaysia.

When Bee suggested chutney for this guest post, I was elated. I can handle chutney I thought to myself. But when she suggested mango chutney, I was a bit hesitating at first. Not because I didn’t have a recipe but because it is my mom’s recipe. My mom is not very comfortable about sharing her recipes online. Don’t get her wrong, she loves sharing in general but she never got “internet”. After a bit explaining about our lovely “food blogger’s community” she almost came in terms with it but it took a little more than just explaining (read emotional blackmailing and reminder of some sentimental childhood stories)…

Chutney’s form an inevitable part of Indian’s daily meal whether its breakfast, lunch or dinner.  They come in all forms and differ in taste and texture depending on the ingredients used and cooking method. Chutneys can be made with fruits, herbs, vegetables or combination of them. Unlike pickles (which is another great condiment to have), chutney are much easier to make and generally made fresh and last for few days to weeks. Three important elements for most chutney is sweet, sour and spicy (others are salty and spicy). It is this balance of flavors that I think has made Indian chutneys worldwide phenomena. The sweet element is often introduced by using fruits like mango in our case, dry fruits, jaggery or other types of sugar. The sourness comes from adding vinegar, tamarind, lemon or lime. The spicy element is added by using fresh or dry chilies, or powder. Other spices like cumin, fennel, black peppercorns and cinnamon are often used in chutneys for flavoring.

Mango chutney can be remarkably versatile. Spread it on sandwiches, use it as marinate, use with steak or chicken or just dip your fries in it. Or well if you are like me spread it on baguette with some roast chicken and lettuce. Other great way is to use it as a base for curries to add that great unique dimension. The only limit is your imagination.

Thank you Bee for letting me share your gorgeous space and suggesting mango chutney, a must have for every fridge.

Click Page 2 for the Mango Chutney Recipe

1. Soma says:

Awesome! and finger licking good! Thanks for this lovely recipe Kulsum:-)

2. Yay, that’s my friend right there! One awesome cook, lovely photographer and a BEAUTIFUL person!!
    A mango chutney is a MUST HAVE part of an Indian meal and Kulsum has done justice to it. Love the recipe!

3. sonia says:

The mango chutney is looking wonderful yet spicy enough to add some spice to your platter in the spring. Loved its vibrant color and texture. Saving this recipe to try asap.

4. Sabera says:

Mmm…. I love Mango chutney and never knew making it at home would be so easy. Love your mother’s recipe. My mom used to make this Mango chutney chicken stir-fry and I hope to make this chutney and then the chicken dish!

5. Kiran says:

Awesome recipe! Love chutneys :)

6. Ameena says:

I had to come over to see the recipe even though I know it’s totally over my head! It looks delicious though!!

7. You’ll have to thank your mom for letting you share this wonderful recipe, I think these kinds of passed down recipes are the best.

8. anushruti says:

Chutneys are such an intrinsic part of our meals. They lighten, enliven and jazz up simple meals and provide an array of sweet, sour & hot tastes. Mango chutney is one of the best of the lot. My recipes for the same are different from this one, but this looks fabulous!

9. Kulsumm,
    Love the way you explained chutneys..very informative and to the point.I particuarly like mango chutney with makki roti.Looks amazing.Mom’s recipes are always best! I love the vibrant color.Thanks both of you for this beautiful post.

10. We get through so much mango chutney in our house that I am now wondering why I have never made it myself. This is such a lovely recipe from Kulsum that I’m inspired.

11. Kulsum, congrats on your guest post! Looks absolutely stunning!

12. Marinac says:

njumy :) i go buy mango right now :)

13. angeline says:

I love mango chutney and this one looks like a winner. I’m definitely going to try it.

14. Deepika says:

I have to make this soon…looks easy and delicious. I love mango chutney with grilled cheese!

15. Barbara says:

I’m going to try this variation! It sounds wonderful!!! I love it that more sugar can be added. Store bought chutneys are good but very expensive where I live, so last spring I tried making my own. The recipe I used called for ‘stretching’ the mangoes by adding peaches. Unfortunately, it was too early in the season for good ripe peaches. My chutney came out VERY chunky and not very pretty. The flavor was wonderful, though. So, I used it over chicken in the crockpot and made a wonderful dish that my friends and family ask for the recipe!

16. Lynn says:

I will not miss this one. I never made chutney in my life or tasted. But i love the marriage of flavours. One quetion though, what vinegar should i use? Thx.

17. Poonam says:

Very yummy with pakoras!

18. katy11 says:

when it says to add the vinegar, sugar, salt and chillies, do you just add it to the boiling water or open the muslin cloth ?

19. Shayla says:

Great recipe! I actually made this without ever cooking or even tasting mango chutney before and its amazing. I’ve tried two different store-bought mango chutneys since making this version and they paled in comparison to this one.

20. Sara says:

can i use regular table sugar?

21. Yoga says:

Wonderful recipe Kulsum. I am trying this mango spread today and will be posting in my website with your permission. Learnt about Bohra’s and their cooking through your website. An elegant website with wonderful pics and post.

22. Gail says:

If you go to the trouble of sterilizing the jars, why not use canning lids and let your curry keep in your pantry? Like any jam or jelly, it will not need refrigeration till opened and will keep in the pantry for at least 1 year. To properly seal the jars, you must put the lid on when the chutney is still very hot. Carefully wipe off any chutney that drips on the jar opening since this will break the seal. Use canning lids that fit the jars and tighten the rims hand tight. When the chutney cools, remove the outer rim. As long as the seal is not broken, the chutney will keep safely. As the hot jar cools, the air inside contracts, causing the lid to dent in slightly. This is the sign that the seal is still good. Great recipe – I am going to try it today with Ataulfo mangoes.

23. Ken says:

Doing chutneys is very easy!