Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-red-lobster-cheddar-bay-biscuits_05/
December 26th, 2013 142 Comments

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits Recipe

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits pictures (1 of 5)

This recipe was originally published on May 7, 2007. Updated with new photos. This Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits recipe has been pinned 83,000 times! With the recent news that Red Lobster might be closing its door forever, I thought many people would love to have the recipe. The Red Lobster biscuit mix is also available at Sam’s Club and Walmart now. Enjoy!

Truth be told, I am a food snob.

I shun away from chain restaurants—Cheesecake Factory, nah; The Olive Garden, meh; Denny’s, are you kidding me?! So, you have it, I am a food snob.

I avoid going to franchise or chain restaurants at all cost, well, unless I am starving or stuck in the middle of nowhere and the only restaurant in town is Applebee’s. Somehow, the notion of a huge restaurant empire scares me. I am afraid they are going to take over the world and infest the dining scenes with the likes of Planet Hollywood (are they still in business?) and Rainforest Cafe. I yearn for pure culinary originality and I champion epicurean creativity. Dining out is one of the most enjoyable and best things in the world, so a restaurant should be unique, possesses lots of character, and has its own identity (no cookie-cutter decor and menu, please!).

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits

However, I have to admit that there is an exception. I go to Red Lobster, occasionally. As a seafood connoisseur, you must think that I go there for seafood, but no, I go there for the sole reason of stuffing myself silly with their biscuits.

Yep, you heard it right—those fluffy-cheesy-buttery-garlicky-fresh-off-the-oven world famous Red Lobster biscuits. (Red Lobster serves almost 1.1 million of their Cheddar Bay Biscuits every day.) You have the statistics, they are spectacular!

Wait a minute, didn’t I just proclaim that I don’t do chain restaurants? I can’t lose my integrity, but I am nuts for Red Lobster biscuits. What to do? What to do?

I made them, well, after hours of Googling for the secret and copycat recipe of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits on the internet.

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits

I don’t think I got the real “secret” recipe for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits, but they were pretty darn good. In fact, they were about 85% close to the original in terms of taste and texture. That’s very good for a knock-off.

Disclaimer: This post was written in a deliberate tongue in cheek tone, and voices my personal preferences and opinions. If you love chain restaurants, please don’t get offended.

Click Page 2 for the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits Recipe Recipe

1. joyce says:

hey rasa,
    juz want to say thnk you very much appreciate it…. for your recipe its really awesome..first time to make it they come out really good…i hope you can make preztel too…we big fan of preztel we always go in the mall spend $20 for preztel expensive…hard life rigth now we need tight on the money…i hope can make one….

chandler, arizona

2. Lori says:

I second that. I hate chain restaurants. I avoid them.

I havent been to Red Lobster since…. well, probably 7- 10 years ago. Ah but I do remember the biscuits. I am looking for the recipe. I think I will try these.

3. Mary Lou says:

Here is my blog, it’s about finding the perfect Red Lobster biscuit recipe, so if you want to share your experiences, you are more than welcome there!

4. Just linked you on our blog!

5. biscuit making mama says:

Thanks for posting this recipe, and for the laugh. Since there are none in my area, I have been to Red Lobster only once since they began serving cheddar bay biscuits, and they were unforgettable. We wondered how many extra baskets we could request without being cut off. As a pretty good biscuit maker (I have baked professionally) I tried with some success to replicate them. I’ve gotten close. The laugh was when I saw the Bisquik in the recipe. Never liked using the stuff – everything comes out heavy because of the dried shortening. Call me a Bisquik snob – that I am. The secret to replicating these biscuits at home is to use all butter.

• Biscuit making mama – if you don’t mind sharing your recipe, I would love to know how to make these babies to perfection. :)

• Laurie says:

Hi! I can understand the “hating” bisquick sentiment that biscuit making mama has, but in all honesty, at the RL kitchen, these come from a baking mix in a bag. The one thing that I see missing is the Old Bay seasoning in the butter. Add 1/4 tsp in with the other seasonings. That is what makes them cheddar BAY biscuits.
        Enjoy!

6. Chae says:

LOL! I am sure they appreciate you spoiling their only decent claim to fame. ;}

7. Rebecca says:

This recipie looks amazing and I personally LOVE the Cheese Buns at LH. We don’t have bisquick in Oz, does anyone know what else I can use? Would pancake mix be the Australian equivilant?

• Darlene Livergood says:

I don’t know how long this has been posted, but if you see this send me an email message if you would like me to send you a box of biscuit. Darlene

8. red lobster recipes says:

I love red lobster recipes.

9. Shoshanna says:

Bee, I have been reading your blog for a while now and somehow, I missed your post on Cheddar Bay Biscuits! I totally agree with you the sole reason why I go to Red Lobster is for the Biscuits. I’ve discovered that if you are friendly to the server and mention you love their biscuits, you can get up to four baskets. Now that I have your recipe, maybe I don’t need to spend all that money just to get biscuits. Looking forward to trying it next weekend!

• Hi Shoshanna,

Four baskets? Wow, I only asked for second helping every time, I was too shy. LOL. I haven’t been to Red Lobster for a while and now I might have to go soon and asked for four!!!

You are right, I wish they will just let us order the biscuits, without the so-so seafood. ;)

10. Stephanie P. says:

OMG just like red lobster biscuits. I love them I have made three batches since Fri.

11. Stephanie P. says:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

12. stef says:

thank goodness you don’t go to red lobster for the seafood because it’s terrible. From someone who lives in FL, frozen seafood is nasty :) But their biscuits? Yes please.

13. Mandi says:

I have played with a similar recipe for awhile and I have found that if you add a little bit of melted butter to the bisquick mix. It adds a nice buttery taste to them too. They taste alot more like the Red Lobster biscuits.

14. new_tradition says:

Hi there, I find this recipe through googling, and I’m so glad I did! Along with discovering Biquick, these biscuits are so phenomenal, and easy to boot!

To be honest, I’ve just been making these biscuits with Bisquick and nothing else xD

15. Pleasance Chong says:

I’ve moved home to KL 2 years ago after living in Dallas for 14 years. Red Lobster’s biscuits are something my husband and I miss like crazy!! Too bad we can’t find Bisquick here. May have to attempt to make them from scratch. Wish me luck!!

16. Jessica says:

The secret ingredient to Cheddar BAY Biscuits is Old Bay Seasoning to both the biscuit mix (1/2 tsp) and to the butter/dried parsley mixture you put on top(1/2 tsp).

Try making it this way…trust me! =)

17. I’ve been on a biscuit kick lately, and these biscuits look like the perfect way to continue! I’m featuring them on Five Friday Finds this week too, so please stop by for a visit and grab a button while you’re there!

18. Betty says:

I put a dash of Lemon Pepper in with parsley and it was just about spot on!

19. Pingback:Happy American Thanksgiving! « Bluebearrie Bakes

20. Pingback:Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits « sugarXstylebysteph

21. Pingback:Friday List: 10 Great Recipes I’ve Found on Pinterest « An Ordinary Adventure

22. Pingback:January Recipe of the Month–Cheddar is Better « Pop Culture Cuisine

23. Tracie says:

Cook them in an iron skillet. It really makes a difference.

24. Pingback:Blurbs -with pictures! | The Sweeter Side of Life

25. Pingback:Salmon, Biscuits, & Seasonal Produce « Andrea Out Loud!

26. amzi says:

Like Rebecca has mentioned above we dont have bisquick in Australia…is there a basic biscuit recipe i should use? these sound tempting just told my partner bout it and hes dying to chomp on some!

27. Nadia says:

Hey, I just tried this recipe and it backfired on me…the biscuits did not rise at all….followed everything step by step!

28. sharifah says:

As a fellow Malaysian and living in NJ, I don’t really eat Red Lobster much for their so-so seafood. We have better seafood in the Mom and Pop restaurants up and down the Shore here. But their cheddar biscuits? Yes, please… and we’ve asked the server here many times for that extra round of the biscuits ;-)
    I had to laugh over the Bisquik because I HATE using that stuff. It’s just as bad as Crisco. I agree with that other reviewer, the secret is unsalted BUTTER though, at room temperature.
    Maybe if I am really hungry, I might try this recipe. And I will turn a blind eye on the Bisquik.

29. Sonja says:

Hi,
    I’m a Malaysian stayin in Melbourne Australia, recipe looks great! What can irreplaceable Busquick with! Can’t wait to try!
    Xx

30. Rebecca Lee says:

For Substitute Bisquick :- 1 cup flour, 1-1/2 teasp baking powder, 1/2 teasp salt, 1 Tablesp shortening makes 1 cup of Bisquick Mix OR

CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

6 cups all purpose flour, 3 T B. P., 1 T salt, 1 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening

For those like me can’t get the Bisquick Mix. Hope this will help you all.

31. Bipolar Bear says:

Nadia, to make biscuits well you can’t over knead the dough. The milk you use has to be cold. It’s like in pastry making, you need cold water for a flaky pastry.
    I’ve not made these biscuits but I will try them; thank you Rasa Malaysia. My friend LOVES Red Lobster and particularly the biscuits. I saw these in my facebook wall feed and it caught my attention.

You can make your own “Bisquick”. I have for years. It’s better to make it fresh anyway because the baking powder and baking soda get old and it’s reactive properties fade. The shortening in the mix can become rancid if not kept in a cool dry place also.
    This link will bring you to a copy cat website that gives a recipe, video and explanation about Bisquick Mix:

This link will give you a Bisquick recipe that has oil instead of shortening if you don’t like the idea of using that kind of fat:
    I’ve found for a good Bisquick recipe you need flour, shortening, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. The shortening makes for a better grain in baking than the oil. Sometimes I add powdered milk to make my dough taste different and to enhance cheese biscuits. And for those of you who are very into making your own basics you can make your own baking powder with baking soda, cornstarch and cream of tartar. There are recipes for that online too!

32. Pingback:Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits… DELICIOUSNESS | Creating Chef Taylor

33. Hi Rasamalaysia..
    I tried this today and it was a super hit..me and my hubby devoured one after another and finished the whole 14 CBB I made in one batch in minutes!!!..Thank You very much for the easy and quick recipe..

34. PS : Can I post the recipe in my blog ??

35. kitty says:

May i ask what type if bisquick biscuit mix i should use? I googled it and it came or many different kinds. Perhaps some picture would help. Thx so much. I can’t wait to try this recipe

36. Lisa R says:

I love these babies so much, thanks for the recipe

sibabe64 at ptd dot net

37. Randa says:

Does ‘beat vigorously’ mean with an electric mixer?? Thanks

• Cheri says:

They now sell the actual Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuit mix at Sam’s Club. I just bought a big box about 10 days ago.

• gaillivingstone says:

Hi
        I bought the biscuit mix at sam’s and had it tonight; they were so easy and just delicious. Will still try to make from scratch just to compare. \i bought mine in florida but am back in canada where sadly, there is no sam’s.
        the box makes 10 biscuit in each bag, and there are 3 bags, even the herb mix to melt in butter to spread over after cooking.

38. Pingback:Weekend Happenings | The Sweeter Side of Life

39. Pingback:What’s for dinner? « Imperfect Perfection

40. Moggie says:

I was at Sam’s club the other day and they sell the Red Lobster biscuit mix. I read the list of ingredients and it contained a long list of unfamiliar preservatives. I put the box back.

41. Eleanor N says:

I just made these. They are so good. Better than the ones at Red Lobster!

42. Keykeelee says:

Here is a biscuit mix recipe.
    8 cups flour
    1 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
    1/4 cup baking powder
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 cups shortening
    mix together and store in a container.

43. Sharon says:

Hi Rasa,

I had fond memories of Red Lobster too and their delicious biscuits. Can’t wait to try this easy recipe. Thanks:)

44. Khrystyne says:

I used to go to Red Lobster just for their cheddar biscuit too! SAMs club is selling Red Lobster biscuit mix for $5. Depending on the size you make them, you can make up to 32 biscuits. 3 individual bags per box. I made several batches already and they taste exactly like them. So yummy hot out of the oven.

45. pamela collins jester says:

That is funny I made these this weekend and they are delish and I have the man hooked on them. He hates seafood but I wanted him to try them since I grew up on them..LOL

46. Tia Pettygrue says:

This is too funny! My husband LOVES these biscuits too and bribes me to go to Red Lobster by saying “Do you want a big lobster tail for dinner tonight?” He knows that’s the only way I’ll go because I don’t care for their food. And all he wants are the biscuits, he could skip dinner altogether. So we’ve decided we’ll just go for drinks and biscuits. And I’ve used this recipe, works great!

47. Andrea says:

Hi, I don’t have access to Bisquick biscuit mix (I live in Peru), how do you replace that in the recipe? Thanks!

48. Pingback:Red Lobster’s Future Is Uncertain; Here Are 17 Copycat Recipes To Make It OK | シ最愛遲到.!

49. John says:

Hello Bee, you have never claimed to be a baker, however, I always try your recipes because I know that you always test it before you print. I do have one concern about the use of Bisquick. Bisquick contains Trans-Fat. Trans-Fat is worse than Saturated fat. Our bodies cannot process the Trans-Fat so it is stored in the fat cells. Once it is in the fat cell it will never come out. Shortening is also Trans-Fat. If you insist on nice flaky biscuits use shortening. I always did until I learned about Trans-Fat. Now I use butter. The biscuits, and pie crusts, are denser but our bodies can metabolize the saturated fat and get it out of the fat cell. I am going to try rendering my own lard from pig fat and try that in place of shortening. I would suggest making your own biscuit mix from one of the recipes in the comments section and replace the shortening with non-hydrogenized lard. I know Bisquick is faster, but it is not healthier.