Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup)
Vietnamese Chicken Pho Noodle Soup Recipe
Serves 6 – 8
Source: THE WORLD’S BEST ASIAN NOODLE RECIPES
For the Broth:
2 yellow onions, cut in half
2 oz/60 g fresh ginger, crushed
3 sticks cinnamon
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp peppercorns
10 star anise
1 tbsp cardamom
Two 2 lb/1 kg whole organic chickens
3 lb/1.5 kg organic chicken bones
1/2 bunch of celery
2 daikon radishes
1/4 head of green cabbage
6 qt/6 L filtered water
3 1/2 tbsp fish sauce (best quality, low-sodium, for example: Red Boat Fish Sauce)
1 oz/28 g rock sugar
1 lb/450 g fresh noodles
1 lb/450 g bean sprouts
Shreddred cooked chicken breasts (from above)
12 sprigs of Thai basil
12 fresh cilantro leaves
3 Thai chilies, thinly sliced
1 red onion, sliced paper thin
1 cup/60 g green onions, chopped
1 cup/32 g chopped cilantro
1 cup/160 g roasted shallots (can be bought in any Asian market)
Black pepper to taste
2 limes, cut into wedges
1. Place the onions and ginger directly on a medium-hot grill. Using tongs, rotate onion and ginger occasionally, cooking until slightly soft. Set aside.
2. Put cinnamon sticks, coriander seeds, peppercorns, star anise, and cardamom in a dry skillet and toast for five minutes to release the oil.
3. To achieve a clear broth, put both chicken and bones in a 10 quart soup pot. Fill water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil over high heat; let it boil vigorously for 3 minutes to release the impurities. Pour the chicken and water into a clean sink, and then rinse the chicken and bones with cold water to wash off all residue.
4. Clean out the same pot and return the chicken and bones into the pot with grilled onions, ginger, all toasted spices, and vegetables.
5. Pour in the water. Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower the heat to simmer. Use a ladle to skim off any scum that rises to the top. Simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Remove the four chicken breasts and set aside. Continue simmering broth for one and a half hours.
7. Strain the broth through a fine mesh sieve. Add fish sauce and sugar, adjusting to suit your taste.
1. Place fresh noodles in a colander or strainer and dip in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain well.
2. Untangle noodles and divide into eight portions.
3. In each of eight bowls, place bean sprouts, noodles, chicken breast, basil, all of the cilantro, chilies, onions, green onions, shallots, and pepper.
4. Pour hot broth on top.
5. Add lime juice, hot sauce, and hoisin sauce to taste.
Click Images Below for Similar Recipes:
Sign Up for Email Updates
Enter your email for new updates: recipes, giveaways, and more!