There are many delicious and easy tilapia recipes you can make at home, for example: baked tilapia.
In this recipe, I will teach you how to bake tilapia fish in an oven with lemon and Parmesan cheese.
You will also learn the cooking tips to make the fish taste good, without the muddy and fishy taste.
Tilapia is one of my favorite white fish.
If you are wondering, tilapia is a real fish and not a processed fish product.
It’s a fresh water fish found in rivers, streams, ponds and lakes, but mostly farmed these days.
It’s packed with protein, non-fatty and low in calories.
When cooked properly, tilapia is flaky, mild tasting and light.
How to Cook Tilapia?
This is probably the most commonly asked question about the fish.
As tilapia fish is mild tasting, cook using ngredients that enhance the flavor and camouflage the potential “muddy” taste, for example: lemon, spices and cheese.
Oven baking is the preferred method to bake tilapia.
- Use lemon juice as it gets rid of any potential “fishy” or “muddy” smell.
- Garlic is another ingredient that would remove any potential smell in the fish.
- Use olive oil to keep the fish moist and tender.
- Generous use of salt and ground black pepper to add flavors.
- Cayenne pepper makes the fish mildly spicy and hence add flavors to the fish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Healthy?
Yes, it is very healthy.
The oceans are over-fished, making farm raised tilapia a healthy alternative to its deep-sea counterparts.
How to Pick Good Tilapia?
If you have a fresh seafood market, you should definitely buy live ones.
The fish monger will clean and cut it into fillets for you.
Fresh tilapia has a sweet and fresh taste, without any fishy or foul smell.
If you don’t have live fish options, you can pick a good one by looking at the appearance of the fillet.
It should be firm, with a somewhat translucent flesh but not sticky or slimy to the touch.
The fillets should also be free of white or color spots.
For frozen tilapia, I recommend the ones imported from Indonesia or Mexico. Stay away from those farmed in China.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This tilapia recipe is 285 calories per serving, with only 13 g of fat.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with side dishes. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
- 1 1/2 lbs. tilapia fillet or cod, sole, halibut, etc. (4 fillets)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Rinse the tilapia fish fillets with cold running water. Pad dry with paper towels. Arrange them in a single layer in a baking dish. Add the olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly on top of the tilapia. Top with chopped parsley.
- Baked the fish in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Serve immediately with fresh lemon wedges.
Amount Per Serving Calories 398Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 139mgSodium 499mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 69g