Vietnamese Shaking Beef Bo Luc Lac
What is shaking beef?
Shaking beef recipe is one of my favorite Vietnamese recipes.
It’s an easy beef recipe of tender and juicy beef cubes coated with shaking beef sauce.
This dish is called Bo Luc Lac in Vietnamese language which literally means beef shake.
Bo means beef or cow in Vietnamese language and “luc lac” means shaking and tossing the beef back and forth in a wok during the cooking process.
Ingredients for Bo Luc Lac
This is homemade, authentic and the best recipe, contributed by Ravenous Couple.
The recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Beef sirloin.
- Shaking beef sauce made of fish sauce, oyster sauce, sweet soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
- Dipping sauce made of lime juice, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Red onion, watercress and tomatoes as vegetable sides.
How to Make Shaking Beef?
To make this Vietnamese beef dish at home, first, you combine garlic, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sweet soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil together.
Marinate the beef with the sauce.
Next, heat a wok and sear and cook the beef until both sides turn brown. Shake and toss the wok while cooking the beef.
How to Serve Shaking Beef
There are many ways to serve this dish.
Some restaurants serve it with sauteed onions, lettuce and rice (white or tomato rice).
Other restaurants may present it like a steak salad served on a bed of watercress and tomatoes, topped with pickled onions.
There is a dipping sauce and it can be a combination of lime juice, salt and ground black pepper or a soy- chili sauce.
Regardless of how you serve bo luc lac, it’s an easy and delicious dish to make for dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Cut of Steak to Use?
You can use any cut of steak you like, for example, filet mignon, rib eye or sirloin.
Can I Use and Instant Pot to Make the Recipe?
Yes, you sure can.
You can use the Saute Mode of Instant Pot to cook the beef. There is no need to pressure cook as the beef is cut into 1-inch cubes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is 592 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve this dish with steamed rice or noodles. For a healthy Vietnamese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1.5 lbs beef sirloin, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Shaking Beef Sauce and Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce (kecap manis) or Maggie Seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bunches watercress, long stems trimmed
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Shaking Beef Dipping Sauce:
- 1 lime, sliced into halves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for Shaking Beef Sauce and Marinade with the beef. Marinate for 30 minutes, preferably 1 to 2 hrs.
- Prepare the Vinaigrette by mixing the rice vinegar with salt and sugar. It should be a balance of sour, salty and sweet.
- Use 3 - 4 tablespoons of the Vinaigrette to pickle the red onions. Set aside and covered in fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Arrange the watercress and tomatoes on a serving platter and set aside.
- Heat a wok, pan or skillet over high heat. Add the cooking oil and when it begins to smoke, add the beef cubes in one even layer and allow to sear for about 2 minutes. Sear the opposite sides for about another 1-2 minute to brown all the sides. Shake and toss the wok while cooking.
- Transfer the beef to the serving platter. Drizzle the remaining 3 - 4 tablespoons of the Vinaigrette over the beef, watercress and tomatoes. Top the beef with the pickled red onions.
- In a small ramekin, make the Shaking Beef Dipping Sauce by squeezing lime juice over salt and black pepper. Serve the Shaking Beef immediately with the dipping sauce.
Recipe Contributor: Ravenous Couple
Amount Per Serving Calories 592Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 156mgSodium 1819mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 13gProtein 48g