What is Texas Toast?
Texas Toast is a delicious toasted bread covered with butter and garlic. It is usually thicker than other breads, and has more of a square shape.
This toast makes a delicious pairing for all kinds of pastas, from meat pasta to garlic noodles.
My version of the recipe has a cheese topping that is to die for, as it pairs so well and makes for an excellent snack.
Main Ingredients for Texas Toast Garlic Bread
- French bread
- Salted butter
- Cheese blend
- The secret to making a killer version of this garlic toast lies in the garlic parsley butter.
- Skip garlic powder and go for fresh garlic. You want to use pureed garlic so your Texas toast will be infused with the amazing flavor and aroma of the garlic.
- For the cheese topping, I chose Trader Joe’s three-cheese blend of mozzarella, cheddar and Monterey Jack. You can’t go wrong with these three cheeses on a buttery and garlicky toast.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do they call it Texas toast?
Like the name suggests, the toast was created in Texas after an order that asked for thicker bread slices ended up with bread that was too thick for a toaster. They then proceeded to butter and grill them instead.
How thick is Texas toast?
It’s about twice as thick as normal bread.
How do you reheat Texas toast?
For the best results, rebake the toast in the oven at 425°f for 5-7 minutes.
How many calories?
This recipe is 477 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This dish is best served with pasta. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 loaf French bread
- 3-4 cloves garlic, pureed
- 4 tablespoons melted salted butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley leaves
- 1 cup shredded 3-cheese blend, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (207°C).
- Slice the French bread into 1-inch thick pieces. Lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Combine the garlic, butter and parsley leaves in a small bowl. Stir to combine well. Brush the butter mixture on the bread.
- Top the bread with the 3-cheese blend. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes in the middle rack of the oven. Serve warm.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 477Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 52mgSodium 789mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 18g