Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe
This garlic butter chicken with creamy sauce is one of the easiest and most delicious chicken recipes you can make with a few ingredients.
The chicken thighs are juicy, tender, and soak up the creamy Parmesan cheese sauce. Plus, this is a healthy dish with extra vegetables added on, such as spinach and mini peppers.
This is a quick one pan chicken recipe; prepare a quick meal with this rich, creamy garlic butter chicken over pasta or rice for a perfect dinner tonight!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Ingredients for Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe
- Chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Yellow Onion
- White wine
- Heavy cream
- Baby spinach leaves
- Mini peppers
- Ground black pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Corn starch
How to Make Garlic Butter Chicken Thighs with Cream?
Use skinless and boneless chicken thighs for this recipe because chicken thighs are juicy, soft, and tender after cooking.
First, season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and black pepper, and cook them in the pan until juicy. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Use the same pan to make the creamy sauce (do not clean the pan!). Melt the butter, then sauté the onion and garlic until aromatic and golden brown.
Add the white wine, heavy cream and bring the sauce to a simmer. Add Italian seasoning, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and stir well. Simmer the sauce while adding the spinach and mini pepper.
Add the chicken thighs to the sauce and cook for a few more minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken thighs so they soaks up all the flavors.
I used white wine instead of chicken broth in this recipe, which adds amazing nuance to the taste. For a kid-friendly meal, use chicken broth instead of white wine.
To add heat to the creamy garlic butter sauce, just sprinkle some chili pepper flakes over the chicken before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Substitute Skinless and Boneless Chicken Thighs with Bone-in Legs or Chicken Breasts?
Yes, the best homemade creamy garlic butter chicken can be made with bone-in chicken legs or chicken breasts. Add a few more minutes to the cook time for bone-in chicken legs. If you use chicken breasts, cut the chicken breasts to smaller pieces so they are cooked evenly and faster.
How to Thicken the Creamy Garlic Butter Sauce?
To make a thick and creamy garlic butter sauce, you can make a corn starch and water slurry and add it to the sauce. Add two teaspoons of corn starch and one tablespoon of water in a bowl first, whisk well, then pour the mixture into the sauce. Stir the sauce continuously until it thickens.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is 568 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with plain pasta, easy spaghetti or cilantro lime rice. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Creamy Garlic Butter Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs. skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 sweet red mini pepper (diced)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon corn starch (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- Rinse the chicken thighs under running water, cut the excess fat with a knife. Pat dry with paper towels. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and ground black pepper.
- Heat a frying pan (or skillet) with olive oil on medium-high and cook the chicken thighs for 5 minutes on each side or until well done. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add butter to the frying pan (or skillet) and sauté garlic and onion until golden brown, add white wine and heavy whipping cream. Reduce the heat to medium and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Add spinach leaves, red mini pepper and stir well. Add Italian seasoning and grated Parmesan cheese. Add salt and black pepper to taste. If you like a thicker sauce, you can make corn starch and water slurry and add it to the sauce. Stir the sauce until it thickens.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and simmer for a few more minutes or until the chicken thighs soaks up all the flavors from the sauce.
- Dish out and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
good but wondering why it is not more coloured as in the indian restaurants?
Hi Robert, this is not the Indian butter chicken. Butter chicken recipe is here: https://rasamalaysia.com/butter-chicken/
This really does sound delicious, on my ‘to make’ list.
Hope all is well, Cheers Diane
I made it and double the recipe and dinner was gone in 30 minutes. It was delicious