Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken
Garlic chicken with mushroom in a creamy sauce. This Instant Pot dinner recipe is so easy, fuss-free and perfect for dinner tonight.
The creamy sauce is so delicious with rice or pasta, or you can just serve the chicken on its own, with a side dish such as roasted potatoes.
I made this lightened up creamy garlic mushroom chicken using my Instant Pot.
This recipe is so delicious. The chicken thighs were tender and soft. The mushroom adds a nice earthy note to this recipe.
Other instant Pot Recipes You Might Like:
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken – Everyone’s favorite. Must try!
- Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken – juicy and tender chicken dinner.
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken – better than Indian buffet.
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Kalua Pork – transports you to Hawaii.
- Instant Pot Creamy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup – better than Thai restaurants!
How to Make Creamy Garlic Sauce?
This is one of the most basic sauces. Saute the garlic with olive oil and add chicken stock, whipping cream, salt and lemon juice.
I chose whipping cream instead of heavy whipping cream so the sauce is not too rich and lower in calorie.
I also love my sauce with a bit of heat so I always add a few dashes of cayenne pepper.
Instant Pot Vs. Slow Cooker
I used Instant Pot to make this recipe. First I sauteed the chicken in the pot and then I cook it on high pressure for 10 minutes.
You can make this recipe in a slow cooker if you don’t have an Instant Pot. Saute the chicken on a skillet on stove top, then transfer everything to the slow cooker and cook on high heat for 3 hours.
Side Dish Ideas
I love serving this creamy garlic mushroom chicken with rice or plain spaghetti/pasta.
Just ladle the chicken, mushroom and the creamy sauce over and you will have a perfect and delicious meal for the entire family.
You can also serve the chicken with any side dishes you desire. This recipe is tried and tested and even the pickiest eaters would approve.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 330 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This meal is best served with a simple pasta or rice dish. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken (Instant Pot)
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 oz. Cremini or white mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Wash and rinse the chicken thighs with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Trim off the excess skin and fat with a pair of kitchen scissors. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Turn on the Saute mode on your Instant Pot. As soon as the pot is fully heated (to make sure the chicken doesn’t stick to the pot), add 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Pan sear the chicken thighs (skin side down first) until both sides turn nicely brown. (You may pan-fry the chicken on a regular skillet or non-stick skillet.) Discard the chicken fat from the instant pot by spooning it out.
- Add the remaining olive oil and saute the garlic a little bit. Add the mushrooms, chicken broth, whipping cream, salt and cayenne pepper. Cover the pot and select Manual and set to High pressure for 10 minutes.
- When it beeps, turn to Quick Release. When the valve drops, remove the cover carefully, add the lemon juice and chopped parsley, stir to mix well. Turn to Saute mode for a few minutes to reduce the sauce. Add more salt and lemon juice to suit your taste.
- Serve immediately with some plain spaghetti.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Really great recipe. Don’t skip the reduction step at the end it’s important to get it saucy. I added extra couple cloves of garlic and red pepper flakes additionally in the beginning of step 3 and also add spinach with the parsley in step 4 to amp it up a lil too.
Made as posted today (delicious), but wondering if the pasta could be cooked in same pot if broth liquid was increased, making it truly a one or dinner?
Yes I am sure you can. Please check out this recipe on my site: https://rasamalaysia.com/instant-pot-creamy-garlic-parmesan-pasta/
Hi Bee! We have just gotten a phillips pressure cooker. Can we use the same cooking time for the pressure cooking?
I am not familiar with Philips so I can’t say for sure.
I tweaked it a bit. I used whole chicken legs, I soaked a 1/2 cup dried mushrooms in boiling water, , and added them, chopped to the rest of the mushrooms. I used the mushroom soaking liquid instead of chicken stock. Very deep wonderful mushroom flavour. I didn’t add the cream during cooking. After it was cooked, I tempered the cream by adding several small amounts of hot liquid to the cream, one tablespoon at a time. Them I added the cream back in before sautéing to reduce the sauce. No curdling. Serves this on top of spiralized pan fried beets I stead of rice or pasta. Delicious.
Why do you wash your chicken?
This was a good recipe but it definitely did curdle. Next time I’ll try adding it after pressure cooking.
Hi Joyce, that was strange, mine didn’t curdle at all, but yes you can add after pressure cooking!
Followed recipe exactly but put it in refrigerator to eat it the next day. Warmed it up in a pan on a bunch of zucchini noodles. It was fantastic will certainly make it again !
Hi Bee! I have made this twice now and I LOVE this recipe! It’s so easy and so flavorful! I used boneless, skinless thighs but cooked for the same time and they just fell apart. This week I had an extra mouth to feed so I doubled it, so easy. We love it over white rice. Thanks for a great recipe.
Thanks Jen for trying this creamy garlic mushroom chicken!
What adjustments (if any) would need to be made in an 8 quart Instant Pot for this and your other chicken recipes?
I really enjoyed your Creamy Garlic Chicken better, so I just added mushrooms to that recipe and it was delicious. Thanks Bee!
Hi Darryl, yes, that works. I love mushrooms! :)