Halibut is one of my favorite firm white fish. It has a mild and delicate taste, with a perfect texture for homemade fish recipes.
I went to a seafood market and got some fresh halibut fillets because they are so delicious.
I made two recipes from the fish: Ginger Soy Fish and this easy Garlic Butter Fish.
Garlic and butter are two magic ingredients that go well with all kinds of proteins, including fish recipes.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Skillet Garlic Butter Steak
- Garlic Butter Pork Chops
- Garlic Butter Brazilian Steak
- Asian Garlic Butter Shrimp
Garlic Butter Sauce
How to make garlic butter sauce for fish recipes?
This magical sauce is very easy to make and calls for four simple ingredients:
- Minced garlic
- Melted butter
- Lemon juice
- Chopped parsley
A perfect ratio of each ingredient is important for the best Garlic Butter Sauce recipe, which you can get from my recipe card below.
This Garlic Butter Fish recipe is just like the ones served at seafood restaurants, except that it’s homemade and much cheaper.
The dish is perfect as a main course; it also pairs well with a simple pasta dish.
- Use a firm white fish. Other than halibut, you can also use cod, mahi mahi or pollock.
- Use a wooden spatula to gently flip the fish over while cooking. Try not to break the fish.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
Fish are extremely healthy and low calories. This recipe is only 346 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served as an main dish with garlic butter dipping sauce. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 12 oz. (340 g) firm white fish fillet (halibut, cod or pollock fillet)
- ground black pepper
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- lemon wedges
Garlic Butter Sauce
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) salted butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cut the fish into pieces, not to thin for easy pan-frying. Season the fish with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Coat the fish with corn starch. Set aside.
- Prepare the Garlic Butter Sauce by mixing all the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Heat up a skillet (preferably non-stick) on medium heat. Add the cooking oil and once the oil is heated, pan-fry the fish in a single layer until both sides turn crispy and golden brown. Use a wooden spatula or tong to gently flip the fish over. Try not to break the fish.
- Remove the fish from the skillet and drain on paper towels. Toss the fish with the Garlic Butter Sauce and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
I used halibut in this recipe. Make sure to use firm white fish.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 346Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 96mgSodium 213mgCarbohydrates 6gProtein 21g