Shrimp scampi is a popular Italian-American recipe with succulent shrimp in a shrimp scampi sauce made with garlic, butter, lemon juice, white wine and herb.
This easy shrimp scampi recipe is quick for dinner because it takes only 15 minutes to make from start to finish.
The shrimp and sauce are usually added to pasta such as linguine or angel hair pasta, just like Red Lobster or Olive Garden restaurants.
Other Shrimp Recipes You Might Like
Shrimp Scampi Sauce
Other than shrimp, the soul of the dish lies in the mouthwatering sauce made of the following ingredients:
- Minced garlic
- White wine, such as fruity Chardonnay
- Lemon juice
- Italian parsley
White wine such as Chardonnay adds the iconic flavor to the sauce, which goes well with pasta such as linguine or angel hair pasta.
How to Make Shrimp Scampi?
This is the best shrimp scampi recipe and it takes only 15 minutes from start to finish.
First, heat up a skillet and saute the garlic and shrimp. Next, season the shrimp with salt and cayenne pepper and add white wine and lemon juice.
As soon as the shrimps turn opaque, they are cooked. Add the parsley and serve the shrimp with lemon wedges.
For the best results, please follow my cooking tips below:
- Use frozen peeled, deveined, and tail-on shrimp.
- Thaw the shrimp at room temperature before cooking.
- The shortest way to thaw frozen shrimp is to soak them in water for about 5-10 minutes. Drain the water and pat the shrimp dry with paper towels.
- Use a cast-iron skillet to saute and cook the shrimp. Cast-iron skillet retains high heat and spread heat evenly, making sure the shrimp cooks evenly with the scampi sauce.
- White wine is the secret ingredient. Use fruity white wine for the best recipe.
- To make the recipe without wine, please use chicken broth as a substitute for white wine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make the Scampi Sauce Creamy?
Yes, you can. To make creamy shrimp scampi, you can add whipping cream to the sauce.
Is This Recipe Keto Friendly?
Yes, it is keto friendly because shrimp contain no carbs. Other ingredients used in the recipe are also ketogenic.
As long as you serve the shrimp without any pasta, this recipe low in calories, keto and zero carb.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 174 calories per serving.
What Side Dishes Go Well with This Recipe?
Shrimp is best served with healthy side dishes such as vegetables or salad. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi
- 12 - 16 oz. peeled, deveined, tail-on shrimp
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 light dashes cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- Rinse the shrimp, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat up a skillet (cast-iron preferred) on medium heat and add the butter. Saute the garlic a few times before adding the shrimp.
- Add the salt and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir to combine well with the garlic before adding the white wine and lemon juice.
- Stir and cook until the white wine evaporates a little bit. Add the parsley, stir well and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Easy and quick recipe for dinner, my family love it and will make it again !!
This was quick and delicious! I added the heavy cream you suggested and my kids slurped up all the sauce/broth! Next time (they asked if we can have it again tomorrow) I’ll have some crusty garlic bread to sop up the juices.
Hi came by to say I love looking at the different recipes you send me, and as an added bonus, you have “giveaways”. Who knows, one day I may be one of the lucky winners. Do have yourself a wonderful day and weekend. Be safe.
Hi Marie, thanks for your comment, yes, keep entering and one day you might win.
what can i use instead on the white wine?
You can skip it. Or you can use rice wine, Japanese sake.
I love shrimps!! Especially with vegetables. This recipe is amazing. Thanks, Rasa! I’ll definitely try it for my husband. He’s opening a restaurant, and I hope he’ll include marine dishes as well.
I haven’t eaten out for ages, but I do hope when Nick opens his restaurant (he promised to take me for the presentation, if I’m not involved into my crazy writing adventures again:))
Samantha (writer, shrimps addict)
Can your recipes be pinned to our saved recipes on Pinterest? This scampi recipe sounds simple and delicious. I do get your recipes on my email and have made several delicious meals. Thank you for sharing.
Yes, you can pin my recipes or you can follow me at http://pinterest.com/rasamalaysia
Hi my name is Rebecca miller I want the recipe for the shrimp scampi
The recipe is here: https://rasamalaysia.com/shrimp-scampi/2/