Garlic White Wine Shrimp Recipe
Garlic white wine shrimp is one of the best shrimp recipes cooked in a white wine sauce made with butter, garlic, onion, and fresh lemon juice. It is so easy and creates a delicious dinner in only 15 minutes.
This simple shrimp recipe also goes well with pasta or rice with its iconic white wine sauce.
You may also enjoy this shrimp recipe for a light appetizer, which tastes garlicky and citrusy with a hint of white wine.
Ingredients for Garlic White Wine Shrimp
- Olive oil
- White wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon Juice
How to Make the Garlic White Wine Shrimp
This garlic white wine shrimp is one of the best shrimp recipes, which only takes 15 minutes to make.
First, heat a skillet (or nonstick frying pan) over medium-high heat. Saute garlic and onion with melted butter and olive oil until golden brown and fragrant.
Add the white wine to the pan and simmer the sauce for 2 minutes.
Next, cook the shrimp with the sauce and stir a few times until pink. Lower the heat and keep simmering for another 5 minutes. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Stir in parsley and lemon juice and serve immediately.
For the most authentic and flavourful garlic white wine shrimp, please follow these tips:
- You can use both fresh peeled and deveined shrimp or frozen ones in this recipe. Both of them make a delicious shrimp dish.
- The quickest way to thaw the frozen shrimp is to soak them in cool water for 10 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Never overcook the shrimp. A quick saute of the shrimp and then cooking in the white wine sauce, will have a tender and crunchy texture.
- Wrapping up the shrimp dish with fresh lemon juice is preferred. The bottled lemon juice is not bright and refreshing enough for this dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which wine should I use for cooking garlic white wine shrimp?
You can cook the shrimp dish with a dry white wine such as Pinot Grigio.
Can I cook the shrimp dish without white wine?
Yes, if you don’t consume alcohol, you can also use chicken broth or shrimp broth as a substitute, which will still make a tasty dish.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is 286 per serving.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 lb (500 grams) medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 small yellow onion (minced)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Rinse, drain and pat dry the shrimp with paper towels.
- Heat the skillet over medium-high heat, and add butter and olive oil.
- Saute garlic and onion in the pan until golden brown and fragrant.
- Add the white wine to the pan and simmer the sauce for 2 minutes.
- Next, add shrimp to the pan and cook until pink. Reduce the heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer. Let the shrimp cook for 5 minutes and add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Top with lemon juice and parsley and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.