FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR EASY DELICIOUS RECIPES EVERY DAY!
Chili Crab Recipe
1 Dungeness Crab (about 2 lb size)
1 sprig of coriander (chopped for garnishing only)
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoons of tamarind juice
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1/4 cup of water
8 dried red chilies (soaked in hot water and deseeded)
1 tablespoon of taucheo (soy bean paste/sauce)
3 cloves of garlic
1 inch of fresh ginger
5 seeds of tamarind
- Clean the crab and chop it into pieces. Save the green and juicy stuff inside the shell and set aside.
- Pound the spice paste with a mortar and pestle or grind them using a food processor. Make sure that the spice paste is finely blended or pounded.
- Soak the tamarind seeds in some warm water for 15 minutes. Extract the juice and discard the seeds.
- Heat up your wok and add cooking oil.
- Stir fry the spice paste until fragant and spicy.
- Add the crab and 1/4 cup of water and do a quick stir. Cover the wok with its cover for 3 minutes.
- Add the green and juicy stuff from the shell and stir well.
- Add in sugar, tamarind juice, a little salt to taste and continue stirring for about 2 minutes or until all crab pieces turned red.
- Dish up, garnish with chopped scallions and serve hot.
- If you are not sure how to clean the crab, you should get the Dungeness crab in Asian stores. They usually provide the cleaning and chopping services.
- Use a mortar (or other similar kitchen tools) to crack the shells of the crab before cooking.
- You can also use this recipe for cooking crab claws. If you do, make sure you crack the claws before cooking so the spices infuse the meat.