Sweet and Sour Fish Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/sweet-and-sour-fish-recipe/
October 14th, 2008 19 Comments

Sweet and Sour Fish Recipe

Sweet and Sour Fish

(Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!)

Please meet Piggy at Piggy’s Cooking Journal–a beautiful food blog that I absolutely adore and constantly drool over. A fellow Malaysian–from my hometown Penang–Piggy cooks, bakes, and writes about Asian food and other good eats. Please welcome her as a guest writer on Rasa Malaysia with the following serving of sweet and sour fish. Yum!

Most of my friends do not cook as they find that cooking is a chore rather than an activity they’d enjoy. They are always bewildered that I am willing to put in a lot of effort to cook, even when I’m dining alone at home.

Contrary to what these friends may think, I usually do not spend long tedious hours in the kitchen. I do, occasionally, whip up some complicated dishes but that might not be something I’d like to do everyday. Just like the others, I do have those moments when I just don’t feel like doing anything at all.

But no matter how unwilling I am to cook, I still need to eat, especially after eating similar dishes for several days. That’s when I turn to my piles of cookbooks and look for the simple yet satisfying recipes to try out. Over time, I have gathered quite a long list of recipes that I would take out from time to time when I want to have a yummy home cooked meal in the shortest time.

Over the weekend, I’ve just added one more such recipe to my list of “simple and satisfying” dishes. The sweet and sour fish only took me less than 45 minutes, from wok to tummy, including cleaning up the dishes and oh, that also included the several minutes of photo taking at leisurely pace. This sweet and sour fish dish is that simple and yet it left me gastronomically satisfied. Find it hard to believe? Well, give the following sweet and sour fish recipe a try then!

Click Page 2 for the Sweet and Sour Fish Recipe Recipe

1. My Taste Heaven says:

Hi RM, it’s a great idea to have a guest writer and hello Piggy. Your sweet and sour fish looks very delicious. Drool.

2. worldwindows says:

Thanks for the reminder of my mom’s cooking. Simple and quick. The ‘tau cheo’ with white rice!! heavenly.

3. Food For Tots says:

Will it be alright if the fish is steamed together with the pre-cooked gravy?

4. homeladychef says:

Hi~ Today is my “fish” day, So I have to cook fish. Drop by for some inspirations, Yes, ignited!

5. allenooi says:

Nice and simple dish!

Welcome Piggy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

6. mycookinghut says:

Well done, Piggy! This is a lovely dish :)

7. Piggy says:

Hello all, Thanks for your kind comments. :-)

Hi food for tots, I’ve not tried this method but I think it should be able to produce the same result. However, you might not be able to get thick gravy (the addition of cornstarch solution) if it’s steamed with the fish, since such texture is usually achieved by stir-frying. It’s great to get new idea though, I will give it a try myself one of these days.

Stumbled upon this post via Google. I love sweet and sour fish, but I prefer sweet and sour fish recipe where the fish is deep-fried…I guess the recipe would still work as the sweet and sour sauce should be the same. Thank you.

9. Pepsi says:

Hi, I am Malaysian fellow also!
    Sweet & sour fish is a popular dish at my home. To make the dish more irresistable, I normally add some diced pineapples & cucumber.

Pepsi :)

10. Tummythoz says:

Hmm I prefer the less healthy version – fry the fish instead of steaming.

11. Lori Lynn says:

That fish and sauce look fabulous. I love the colors in the photo with the green garnish. Looking forward to checking out your blog, Piggy!

12. Mrs Ergül says:

This is like comfort food for me! I love my mum’s cuz she makes the skin of the fish all crispy!

13. Salt N Turmeric says:

Hi Piggy. Love anything sweet and sour but mine gotta be deep-fried first. ;)

14. ellie says:

Hi, I’ve just cooked this fish as per your recipe and my oh my, yummmmmmyyyyyy!!!

I’m the lazy sorta person so what I did was cooked the fish in the sauce together and when it’s done, I dished out the fish 1st and add in the cornstarch last to thicken the sauce. My short cut! lol…

You got a great site going on here, love it! And thanks for your hard work of posting!!!

• So nice of you to leave such supportive comments. And thanks for trying this sweet and sour fish recipe. Try the rest of my sweet and sour dishes posted, such as sweet and sour pork, sweet and sour chicken. Their ingredients almost identical and cooking is as easy, too. Enjoy!

15. Emily Chng says:

Hi, i tried this recipe today. I pan fried my dory fish instead of steam fish. Must say…YUMMY!
    Thanks for the recipe.

16. Rachel says:

Hi there,

Is there an alternative to pounded red chilli? like perhaps chilli sauce?

17. Shawal says:

Yummy!!! It’s good recipe.

18. Mui says:

Hi,
    I love all your recipes, simple! I living in uk, far from home, Malaysia. I a
    Ways have to mum for the recipes, now I just log in online, and I can cook! Haha! Thanks

Mui