Cardamom chicken or masala murgh is an Indian chicken dish made with cardamom and spices. Delicious cardamom chicken or masala murgh.
Growing up in Malaysia, I was exposed to Indian cuisine since I was little.
Everyone in the family enjoys a good pot of fiery hot and spice-laden curry; as the smell and aroma of Indian curry wafting out of the kitchen, we knew that lunch and dinner would be excellent.
My father would always pack a slice or two of sweet roti canai for me as a snack or late night supper.
Indian food was a staple in our family, and Indian food is also the ultimate favorite for Mr. Rasa Malaysia.
Even though I grew up with Indian food and surrounded by people who love it, I am not an experienced cook when it comes to Indian cuisine.
I will be very honest, I still get fennel seeds and cumin seeds mixed up sometimes as they look so similar (in my eyes).
So when Shubhra Ramineni, the author of Entice with Spice contacted me, I was excited to check out the cookbook.
This Cardamom Chicken or Masala Murgh picture and recipe caught my eyes when I read through the book.
This is the kind of chicken my parents and I would order at our favorite nasi kandar restaurant in Penang: bright red-orange chicken cooked to tender perfection in a blend of spices.
I can almost smell the aroma and savor the flavor of the cardamom chicken from the picture, and I have no doubt that it is tantalizing in taste.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 312 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 ¼ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, (600 g)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 ½ teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 onion, grated on the largest grating holes on a box grater or shredded in a food processor
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 large fully ripe tomato, cut into 4 pieces
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash the chicken with cold water and cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) pieces.
- Pour the oil into a large skillet and place over medium heat. When the oil is heated, add the garlic, ginger and onion. Sauté until the onion is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds. Open the cardamoms and add the seeds and the pods. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the tomato and cover the skillet. Cook until the tomato becomes completely soft and mashed and is combined with the onion to form a coarse paste, stirring every minute or so and lightly mashing the tomato, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, red pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 7 minutes, stirring frequently. This is the masala (spice base).
- Add the chicken. Stir to combine and increase the heat to medium. Cook uncovered until there are no signs of pink when you insert a knife though the chicken, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cardamom pods and discard. Enjoy now or let cool to room temperature and refrigerate or freeze for later!
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 12gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 90mgSodium 604mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 31g