Growing up in Malaysia, I was exposed to Indian cuisine since I was little.
Everyone in the family enjoys a good pot of fiery hot and spice-laden curry; as the smell and aroma of Indian curry wafting out of the kitchen, we knew that lunch and dinner would be excellent.
My father would always pack a slice or two of sweet roti canai for me as a snack or late night supper.
Indian food was a staple in our family, and Indian food is also the ultimate favorite for Mr. Rasa Malaysia.
Even though I grew up with Indian food and surrounded by people who love it, I am not an experienced cook when it comes to Indian cuisine.
I will be very honest, I still get fennel seeds and cumin seeds mixed up sometimes as they look so similar (in my eyes).
So when Shubhra Ramineni, the author of Entice with Spice contacted me, I was excited to check out the cookbook.
This Cardamom Chicken or Masala Murgh picture and recipe caught my eyes when I read through the book.
This is the kind of chicken my parents and I would order at our favorite nasi kandar restaurant in Penang: bright red-orange chicken cooked to tender perfection in a blend of spices.
I can almost smell the aroma and savor the flavor of the cardamom chicken from the picture, and I have no doubt that it is tantalizing in taste.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 312 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 ¼ lbs (570g) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 ½ teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 onion (grated on the largest grating holes on a box grater or shredded in a food processor)
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 large fully ripe tomato (cut into 4 pieces)
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash the chicken with cold water and cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) pieces.
- Pour the oil into a large skillet and place over medium heat. When the oil is heated, add the garlic, ginger and onion. Sauté until the onion is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds. Open the cardamoms and add the seeds and the pods. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the tomato and cover the skillet. Cook until the tomato becomes completely soft and mashed and is combined with the onion to form a coarse paste, stirring every minute or so and lightly mashing the tomato, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, red pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 7 minutes, stirring frequently. This is the masala (spice base).
- Add the chicken. Stir to combine and increase the heat to medium. Cook uncovered until there are no signs of pink when you insert a knife though the chicken, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cardamom pods and discard. Enjoy now, or let cool to room temperature and refrigerate or freeze for later!
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.