What Are Leaf Potatoes?
Leaf potatoes are roasted potatoes by Australian celebrity chef Donna Hay.
The potatoes are sliced thinly and they are arranged piece by piece in a baking sheet. As the potatoes are paper thin, and they do look like leaves, hence the name leaf potatoes.
Other Roasted Potatoes Recipes You Might Like
The Best Roasted Potatoes for Holidays or Every Day!
You haven’t tried roasted potatoes until you have tried these crispy leaf potatoes. Believe me!
Imagine layers upon layers of super crispy potatoes that taste like potato chips, seasoned with rosemary, butter and salt. My mouth is watering at the very thought.
How Do You Make Crispy Roasted Potatoes?
I am going to show you the tips and techniques:
- Use a Mandoline Slicer to slice the potatoes to thin pieces. Click here to buy.
- Dab off the moisture on the potato slices with paper towels.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes upright in a baking pan and bake at 400F.
Butter or Duck Fat for Roasted Potatoes?
The original recipe by Donna Hay calls for duck fat. Any foodies who have tried duck fat with roasted potatoes will never go back to butter again.
For this recipe, I used butter, but go ahead and use duck fat if you like. Duck fat is supposed to be “healthier” as it has higher percentage of monounsaturated fat, at 55% while butter has only 26%.
Layers upon Layers of Crispy Goodness!!
Crispy leaf potatoes is an amazing side dish any time of the year. They are perfect for special occasions such as Thanksgiving or Christmas.
The reason is simple: they are very easy to make, with simple ingredients, but the presentation has a wow factor and the taste and texture are absolutely delightful.
Try this recipe, and use duck fat, if you will. Enjoy!
You can also turn this recipe into sweet potatoes, check out this Crispy Baked Sweet Potatoes recipe.
I recommend the following OXO Good Grips Adjustable Handheld Mandoline Slicer. It’s available on Amazon for $14.99.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 601 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 9 lbs. (4 kg) potatoes, peeled, yukon gold or russet
- 12 oz. (340 g) melted unsalted butter (3 sticks or 1 1/2 cups) or 11 oz. duck fat
- 3 teaspoons Maldon sea salt flakes (preferred) or salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons chopped rosemary or oregano
- Preheat oven to 400°F (207°C).
- Using a Mandoline Slicer, thinly slice the peeled potatoes length ways. Pat dry the potatoes with paper towels.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl. Using your hands, toss with butter (or duck fat), 2 teaspoons salt, black pepper and about 2 teaspoons of chopped rosemary until fully coated.
- Carefully place the potatoes upright, from left to right, in a baking tray (I used a 8x11" baking tray) until the tray is full. Do not pack in the potatoes too tightly, as this impacts the crispiness.
- Bake for an hour, or until the potatoes are golden and crispy. Garnish with the remaining salt and the rosemary or oregano. Serve immediately.
Serving Size8 People
Amount Per Serving Calories 601Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 91mgSodium 927mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 12gProtein 13g