Other Recipes You Might Like
Potatoes, for instance, don’t have to be just mashed with gravy. Scalloped potatoes are just as easy to make.
I found this Scalloped Potatoes recipe from Real Simple and made little adjustments I knew my family and friends would love.
The potatoes come out perfectly tender and have light cream infused with thyme coating each slice. Topped with a slightly golden cheddar cheese crust, it’s an ideal side to serve along your roasted turkey.
To speed up the slicing process, use a mandoline. Be careful though not to get carried away as you slice to avoid injury. Some vegetable spiralizer tools also have a part that allows you to create ribbon-like slices too.
It would work just as well. No matter how you decide to cut it, I know you’ll like this dish. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 538 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) heavy cream
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 2 sprigs thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.75 ml) ground nutmeg
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 pounds (1800 g) russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (169.5 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a pot, melt the butter and cook the onions until softened. Add the cream, milk, thyme and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes and cook until tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and pour the potatoes into the baking dish. Top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is slightly golden. Allow the dish to sit for a minimum of 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with extra thyme leaves, if desired.
If you want to try a different cheese, I recommend gruyere. It's sweet, but slightly salty.
Serving Size8 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 538Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 21gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 117mgSodium 192mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 13g