How to Cook Chicken Thighs in Instant Pot
There are many ways to cook chicken thighs in Instant Pot and one of my favorite methods is to brown and saute the chicken thighs using the Saute function and then pressure cooked using Manual function.
There is no need to use trivet, but you will need at least 1/2 cup of liquid to create the steam to pressure cook the chicken thighs.
Other Instant Pot Chicken Recipes You Might Like
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken
- Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Honey Sesame Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken Thighs Time
The time you need to cook chicken thighs depends on whether or not the chicken is boneless or bone-in.
For organic boneless and skinless chicken thighs, I usually pressure cook on High for 5-6 minutes in the Instant Pot. Organic chicken thighs are smaller in size and 5 minutes is just perfect as you don’t want the chicken meat to be too tender. If your chicken thighs are bigger, increase the cook time by 1 minute.
For bone-in chicken thighs, I pressure cook on High for 6-8 minutes. The total time depends on the size of the chicken thighs as some chicken thighs can be very big so it takes longer time to become soft and tender.
Can I Cook Frozen Chicken in Instant Pot?
The answer is yes. If you use frozen chicken straight from the freezer, just add extra 2 minutes pressure cooking time. I must warn you that for the best texture and flavor of the chicken, it’s best you thaw them before pressure cooking.
Creamy Garlic Sauce
One of the best sauces to go with chicken in the Instant Pot is the creamy garlic sauce. You can’t go wrong with the rich and delicious garlic sauce, which is made with only 5 simple ingredients:
- Chicken broth
- Heavy whipping cream
- Bottled Grated Parmesan cheese such as Kraft
This recipe is absolutely delicious, with a mouthwatering rich, creamy and savory sauce. The chicken thighs are so tender, juicy and moist. The rosemary infuses the sauce with intense aroma.
This is going to be the most delicious chicken dinner you’ll make in an Instant Pot!
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This meal is best served with a side of skillet garlic bread (use the bread to sop up the creamy sauce), easy spaghetti or cilantro lime rice. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 366 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 1/2 lbs. skinless and boneless chicken thighs, trimmed off the fat
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons Kraft grated Parmesan cheese
- Trim off the excess fat on the chicken thighs with a pair of kitchen scissors. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Turn on the Saute mode on your Instant Pot. As soon as the pot is fully heated (to make sure the chicken doesn’t stick to the pot), add the olive oil. Pan sear and brown the chicken thighs until both sides turn slightly brown. (You may pan-fry the chicken on a regular skillet or non-stick skillet.)
- Add the garlic, rosemary and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Sprinkle the paprika on the chicken thighs. Cover the pot and select Manual and set to High pressure for 5 minutes.
- When it beeps, turn to Quick Release. When the valve drops, remove the cover carefully, add the heavy whipping cream, salt and grated Parmesan cheese, stir to mix well. Turn to Saute mode for a few minutes to reduce the sauce to a thicker consistency. Add more salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.