Shrimp With Lobster Sauce http://rasamalaysia.com/shrimp-with-lobster-sauce/
February 06th, 2013 35 Comments

Shrimp With Lobster Sauce

Shrimp with Lobster Sauce
Shrimp with Lobster Sauce pictures (2 of 4)

(All Chinese New Year recipes can be found here.)

Lunar New Year is a few days away and falls on Sunday, February 10 this year. This is the year of Snake and the Chinese, Koreans, and Vietnamese will be celebrating the new year. As a Chinese, there are many taboos that we follow to rid of bad luck, for example: not sweeping the floor on the first day of Chinese New Year because you will be sweeping away all the good luck/fortune in the new year. I remember growing up, I was wondering why our house was so dirty during Chinese New Year, as there were litters and debris from the prayers and firecrackers in our front yard, but my mother and aunt would always say “DO NOT SWEEP THE FLOOR.”  Such was fond memories of celebrating Chinese New Year in Penang, Malaysia.

Shrimp with Lobster Sauce

Now, let’s talk about food. Chinese New Year is all about feasting, eating lots of good food that signifies great fortune, happiness, and prosperity. Shrimp is always a great dish to serve as the Cantonese pronunciation of 虾 sounds like 哈, which means laughter or happiness.

Coincidentally, I received a few requests from my readers how to prepare Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, a very popular Americanized Chinese dish. So, here I share with you my Shrimp with Lobster Sauce recipe, which you can prepare to celebrate Chinese New Year. One thing that I need to clarify is that no lobster is used in this dish. This is pretty much a shrimp dish with a Cantonese-style egg sauce. As to why it’s called a lobster sauce, I have no idea. But being a Chinese, I think whoever invented the dish is a smart marketing whiz as it sounds so much more delicious with the word lobster in its name.

I have MANY Chinese/Lunar New Year recipes here on Rasa Malaysia. Please click here to check them out. If you are cooking abalone for your family, you have to start cooking NOW as it takes days. My recipe of braised abalone and sea cucumber is here.

Have a healthy and prosperous Snake Year. Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Click Page 2 for the Shrimp With Lobster Sauce Recipe

1. Chae Cho via Facebook says:

YUMMERS! :D

2. Happy New Year. The shrimp looks scrumptious.

3. christine says:

Bee, try to add some black beans and oyster sauce. The taste will be totally different. More flavorful…

• Yes, I know about black beans and oyster sauce but I wanted to make this recipe very accessible to everyone without buying many new ingredients. Hence I use chicken broth and salt and sugar to taste. :)

4. James G says:

I’m pretty sure it’s called lobster sauce because it is often served with lobster (same reason why they call “duck sauce” “duck sauce”).

5. justine says:

Hi Bee! I’m so excited to try this out. I’ve been looking for a recipe for fish fillet with crab meat sauce which I’ve tried in a Chinese restaurant and I’m amused to find out that it might actually be just egg white sauce. Just want to know if you made the chicken broth from scratch or is it okay to just use chicken powder or chicken cube?

I’ve also checked out your shrimp recipes and honestly, I don’t know which one to try first. They all look delicious and easy to make. By the way, just tried your Chinese honey chicken recipe for lunch and my husband and daughter loved it.

Thanks Bee for the cooking tips and secrets you share on Chinese cooking. I can say that now RASA MALAYSIA is my favorite cooking blog.

6. Are those green things peas or sliced green onions? There are two kinds of shrimp with lobster sauce. There is also a recipe that has ground pork in the sauce. Are you planning to publish that one?

7. Charis Kelly via Facebook says:

Oh I miss this I don’t see it on menus down here so will be trying this at home thank you

8. Angela Tellone Hatch just add some ground pork and you have that version. :)

9. what about lobster with dragon sauce?

10. SALLY TEWS says:

Wow Bee~this recipe looks just Awesome~I am going to try it next.
    Your recipes are great~thank you for all.

11. Teresa says:

I like this recipe, I don’t always have black beans but I always have stock. Use this recipe different ways for different flavors.

12. Jayne says:

The name of this is pretty ingenius. I guess for the Chinese, if you hear lobster then you’d be excited. haha… Seems like a simple shrimp dish to prepare!

13. Serene says:

Would like to try this recipe but what’s the best option for the cooking wine – can we (muslims) omit or sub with plain white vinegar? Thanks

14. Do you add anything to the ground pork – onions, garlic, ginger, spices or herbs?

15. Great picture and recipe, Gong Hei Fa Choi!

16. Joeman says:

This recipe is really good! I have been wondering about a recipe which sounds similar, in some ways. There is a restaurant nearby that has a dish called Shrimp with Bean curd. It has shrimp, tomato, finely chopped Chinese celery, the tofu is soft and spread out, not cubed, and there is a taste of sesame oil (not overpowering).

There are no peas or carrots or any other vegetables. It’s delicious. It uses a similar white sauce. Have you ever heard of it, Bee? Could you venture a guess how to make it happen? My family really likes it.

Thank you!

17. Jill says:

We had this dish for our dinner tonight. DELICIOUS! My husband did sprinkle a few red pepper flakes on his serving. That was our only change. Easy to make. Will make again. Thank you.

18. Katy says:

WOW, this sounds good.

I usually use organic vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and I’m crazy for garlic so I’d likely add a bit more.

I can’t wait to try it. I wonder what I could use to make it spicy?

19. mary says:

Thank you for this recipe!! I’ve been wanting to make this for quite sometime.

20. Suzanne Davis via Facebook says:

Looks amazing!

21. Jonathan_Goh85 says:

:) Thank You. I just cooked this last night and my family love it.. Mum said “Jon, this is like 生虾面 sauce” and asked me to try making it with noodle…

22. Leigh says:

This looks like the best recipe I’ve found online. I’m from Boston & we like our lobster sauce dark, so I would add the oyster sauce. I’m just not sure how much to add as I don’t want it overly salty. Any suggestions?

23. mama marsha says:

I’m in california, this looks like the sauce we had in L.A. chinatown in the 1970′s. my father loves this clear lobster sauce. No pork please! Can’t wait to try. Thank You

24. micquan says:

all those foods look good yummmm!!

25. Judy says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. It was delicious! it was so easy to make and I had all the ingredients. I did add a bit of fish sauce to mine. I look forward to trying more of your recipes because I don’t live in an area where I can get really good Asian food and I totally miss my Chinese mom’s cooking.

26. Stephanie says:

It looks yummy.i’m gonna try.
    I

27. villagerfran says:

When I was first introduced to Asian cooking (16) my first date, Shrimp w/ Lobster Sauce was my favorite . Since then, I have tried just about everything on a menue (not at the same time) and love several, but I must admit the Shrimp w/ Lobster Sauce is still my favorite. Thanks for the recipe, love your site and try to check in every day. I can’t waite to try the Butter cake with Brownie layer soon.Keep the incrediable recipes comming.

28. Lisa says:

The link for the recipe is not working and I want to make this recipe so badly! could you please fix the link? thank you!