Coming from Southeast Asia, I love everything made with lemongrass. Lemongrass is a wonderful aromatics that perfumes all simple dishes into something exotic.
Think Malaysian Chicken Satay, Thai Tom Yum Soup, Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken, these dishes wouldn’t be so exotic or flavorful without the fragrance of lemongrass in the concoction.
I just love lemongrass, even a simple lemongrass honey drink transports me back to tropical Southeast Asia!
My good friend successful grows some lemongrass in her garden recently, and knowing that I love lemongrass, she gave me a big lunch.
I had some chicken drumsticks in my freezer that day so I decided to make these easy and absolutely delicious honey lemongrass baked chicken.
Another reason for this honey lemongrass baked chicken recipe is that my picky eater son has recently started to eat chicken drumsticks, and he likes to eat the drumsticks like a carnivore, taking a big bite of the meaty part with a funny expression.
I love the way he acts out when he bites into the juicy drumsticks.
Other Recipes You Might Like
This recipe is very easy to make; it’s a slight variation from my very popular ginger garlic baked chicken.
In this case, the ginger is replaced with lemongrass, but you get a completely different flavor profile because of the lemongrass.
If you are not familiar with lemongrass, this is how they look, after the top part is being cut off. Nowadays, lemongrass is no longer hard to find, you can buy them from regular supermarkets or food stores now.
The next time you go shopping, buy some and introduce a new ingredient into your daily cooking repertoire, and try this amazing honey lemongrass baked chicken that is a wonderful dish for weeknight or weekend dinners. Enjoy!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 291 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Honey Lemongrass Baked Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken drumsticks
- One lemongrass (top part trimmed off)
- 4 garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce or fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- Cut the lemongrass into small rings, then use a mortar and pestle to pound them lightly. This will help release the aromas and wonderful fragrance of the lemongrass. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, you can use the back of your knife to pound them.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Add the lemongrass and garlic to the chicken and gently rub them on the chicken. Add all the Marinade ingredients to the chicken, stir to mix well, so the chicken drumsticks are nicely marinated with all the ingredients. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or best for a few hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line the chicken on a tray lined with baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes in the middle of the oven, or until the surface turn golden brown, slightly charred, and the inside is cooked through. Transfer the chicken out, keep the tasty juices that seep out from the chicken, and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Hello, your recipe calls for 4 garlic. Does that mean 4 cloves or 4 whole garlic bulbs? Thanks.
4 cloves garlic.
Can i use a air fryer instead of the oven? At what setting and for how long
I think you can. I am not sure. I don’t use air fryer.
Hi can I substitute garlic for something else Like ginger?
Yes, you can.