A simple and delightful dish–stir-fried napa cabbage with dried shrimp (and straw mushrooms).
Straw mushrooms are optional but I put them into the stir-fry as I had some leftover in the fridge. Surprisingly, they transformed this humble recipe and added extra flavor, texture, and color to my stir-fried napa cabbage. I loved it!
If you are a Chinese-Malaysian or Chinese, I am sure many of you have had this dish growing up; perhaps you are still preparing it at home. It’s one of those homey dishes that reminds you of your mother’s–or your grandmother’s–cooking…
I served my napa cabbage with a dollop of garlic oil and fried garlic on top of this dish. What a great idea. It infused the serving with garlicky aroma. You should try it, too!
To make other nostalgic and homey Chinese-Malaysian dishes, AKA the food of my childhood, please check out my recipes below (recommended and pair well with stir-fried napa cabbage):
- Malaysian Sweet and Sour Eggs (Eggs Masak Branda/Belanda)
- Stir-fried Eggs with Red Onions and Shrimp
- Bean Sprouts with Salted Fish
- Malaysian-style Ladies Fingers/Okras
- Pork Ribs and Lotus Root Soup
- Bean Curd Sticks and Pork Ribs Soup
- Stir-fried Bean Curds with Leeks
- Braised Bean Curd/Firm Tofu with Mushrooms
- Steamed Tofu and Ground Pork
- Steamed Eggs with Cincaluk/Steamed Eggs with Fermented Shrimp
(Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!)
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO RASA MALAYSIA NEWSLETTER AND GET EASY AND DELICIOUS RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX. If you try my recipe, please use hashtag #rasamalaysia on social media so I can see your creations! Follow me on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for new recipes, giveaways and more.