General Tso’s Chicken (also called General Tso Chicken) is one of the most popular Chinese recipes and most ordered chicken dish in Chinese restaurants in the United States.
It’s made of battered and deep-fried chicken in a sweet, savory, and spicy General Tso’s sauce. It’s served at Chinese restaurants, buffets, and a popular Chinese takeout item.
Many don’t even dare to ask “How to make General Tso Chicken?” because they assume it’s difficult. But the good new is that it’s very easy to make at home.
Who is General Tso?
General Tso’s Chicken originated from Hunan, China. There was a brave Chinese general by the name of General Tso (Zuo Zongtang 左宗棠) and he loved this chicken dish. However, this is largely a US or western reference.
The authentic recipe of General Tso’s chicken always calls for the following ingredients:
- Soy sauce. Use a good quality soy sauce.
- Dark soy sauce lends nice dark brown color to the dish.
- Chinese rice vinegar plays a vital role in lending the bold vinegary note to the sauce.
- Hoisin Sauce is the secret ingredient.
- Dried red chilies—an important ingredient in Hunan cooking, making the chicken and the sauce mildly spicy.
How Do You Make General Tso’s Chicken?
To make general chicken, you will need chicken meat. I prefer chicken breasts. Cut the chicken into cubes and coat the chicken generously with corn starch. Deep fry the chicken until they turn light to golden brown.
Next, stir fry the minced ginger, garlic, and dried chilies and pour the General Tso’s Chicken sauce and cook until the sauce thickens.
Serve General Tso’s Chicken with:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.