A simple and delightful dish–stir-fried napa cabbage with dried shrimp (and straw mushrooms).
Straw mushrooms are optional but I put them into the stir-fry as I had some leftover in the fridge.
Surprisingly, they transformed this humble recipe and added extra flavor, texture, and color to my stir-fried napa cabbage. I loved it!
If you are a Chinese-Malaysian or Chinese, I am sure many of you have had this dish growing up; perhaps you are still preparing it at home. It’s one of those homey dishes that reminds you of your mother’s–or your grandmother’s–cooking…
I served my napa cabbage with a dollop of garlic oil and fried garlic on top of this dish. What a great idea. It infused the serving with garlicky aroma. You should try it, too!
To make other nostalgic and homey Chinese-Malaysian dishes, AKA the food of my childhood, please check out my recipes below (recommended and pair well with stir-fried napa cabbage):
- Malaysian Sweet and Sour Eggs (Eggs Masak Branda/Belanda)
- Stir-fried Eggs with Red Onions and Shrimp
- Bean Sprouts with Salted Fish
- Malaysian-style Ladies Fingers/Okras
- Pork Ribs and Lotus Root Soup
- Bean Curd Sticks and Pork Ribs Soup
- Stir-fried Bean Curds with Leeks
- Braised Bean Curd/Firm Tofu with Mushrooms
- Steamed Tofu and Ground Pork
- Steamed Eggs with Cincaluk/Steamed Eggs with Fermented Shrimp
(Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!)
Napa Cabbage with Dried Shrimp Recipe (and Straw Mushrooms)
Stir-fried Napa Cabbage Recipe - A simple and delightful dish–stir-fried napa cabbage with dried shrimp (and straw mushrooms).
- 3 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 6 straw mushrooms, cut into halves, (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, drained and set aside
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1Make the garlic oil first by stir-frying the chopped garlic with the cooking oil. Dish out half of it when the garlic turns golden brown.
- 2With the remaining garlic oil in the wok, add in the dried shrimp and do a few quick stir until you smell the aroma of the dried shrimp. Add in the straw mushrooms and do a quick stir, then follow by the chopped napa cabbage. Stir fry for 1 minute and then add in the oyster sauce. Stir well and dish out the napa cabbage when it's still somewhat "crunchy" and not over-cooked. Top the stir-fried napa cabbage with the remaining half of garlic oil. Serve immediately.