Baby Bok Choy Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/baby-bok-choy-with-garlic-and-shrimp/
August 22nd, 2008 25 Comments

Baby Bok Choy Recipe

Baby Bok Choy
Baby Bok Choy pictures (3 of 3)

(Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!)

When it comes to Chinese vegetables, simple is best. There is really no need for a complicated recipe for vegetables. The key to success with Chinese greens is freshness–you want to just barely cook them, and with the most basic ingredients.

That was exactly what I did with these bok choy mui (菜苗) or baby bok choy. Some chopped garlic, some baby shrimps, and a pinch of salt are what you need. Humble in its presentation, this baby bok choy recipe pairs well with any Chinese dishes. With the Olympics closing in a few days, this is my way to culminate my Beijing Olympics Chinese food series–on a healthy note…

In “Simple Chinese Cooking,” Kylie Kwong writes, “I want to spread the word about the sheer intelligence, refinement and beauty of Chinese cuisine, which is a most sophisticated yet simple, healthy, life-giving cooking style to learn.” In a similar manner–albeit on a much smaller scale–I hope you have enjoyed reading and learning about Chinese recipes on Rasa Malaysia.

My Beijing Olympics Chinese Recipes:

Chow Mein/Chinese Noodles
Sweet and Sour Pork
Cashew Chicken
Honey Walnut Shrimp

Click Page 2 for the Baby Bok Choy Recipe Recipe

1. Penang Tua Pui says:

I like this type of cute cute little bok choy mui… just easily feed into our mouth compare to the big one…

yum yum…. see if i can persuade my wife to cook for me..

2. Manggy says:

Sans shrimp, we like having this every now and then, esp. with fried food :) The greens can be a bit bitter for a sweet tooth like me, but bitterness has this “healthy” feeling, doesn’t it?

I think bok choy mui is nicer than the regular bok choy. I like them.

4. Shikin says:

why didn i ever think of combining baby bok choy with garlic and shrimp? you are right. for chinese dishes, simplest is the best.

5. Fearless Kitchen says:

This looks great. It’s very healthy, but looks filling too.

6. mycookinghut says:

Hey Bee!
    I am glad you like the book! Can’t wait for you to share some of the recipes on your blog!!
    This dish is really simple and healthy I reckon. Sometimes, I just think that Chinese/Asian food is so quick and easy to prepare and that I am lucky to be able to enjoy it in minutes!

7. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

Your whole Beijing Olympics series has been wonderful — great photos and recipes for some of the things we all learned to love at American Chinese restaurants. Well done, Bee!

8. Piggy says:

I like such simple dish too, delicious and yet healthy!

9. Kalyn says:

I’m loving the Chinese food posts for the Olympics, and this one looks just fantastic.

10. SteamyKitchen says:

i love that book! pretty pictures..and lots of them

yes..i agree with you. Simple…for freshness….YAY!
    I like 菜苗 too – the color looks great too! Reminds me of the jadelite vegetable put to exhibit in NAtional Palace Museum in Taiwan.

12. veron says:

love baby bok choy…they are so tasty on their own…but putting shrimps into it is simply delish!

13. Salt N Turmeric says:

that baby bok choy looks soooo good and cute!

14. backstreetgluttons says:

u r right simple is truly best.

we love simple girls. no stress no trouble. just the nice taste

15. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

A wonderful combination! All three ingredients are delicious! Perfect!

Cheers,

Rosa

16. mama bok says:

I donch eat this choi moi.. but love baby bok choi. Thanks for sharing. :) i always run outta idea what to cook.

17. skinnymum says:

I am on a lookout for easy, healthy dishes to cook for myself, as part of my healthy eating plan.

Thanks for sharing.

18. Kalyn says:

Please delete this comment later, just letting you know that this recipe has been copied here:

19. Wow, what a simple recipe yet packed with flavor. I have yet to try the baby Bok Choy. I am anxious to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
    Beth

20. Pingback:Local Box Meal Plan: Jan. 11-15 « A Greenling Blog

21. Kak Rose says:

I’ve tried today… n taste soooo nice. add a little bit of oyster sauce n lessen the salt… superb!

22. Pingback:Salad Greens From A to Z « larryromero820

23. Rokclmr says:

Thank you for the perfect recipe for a beginner to Asian cooking! Love baby bok choi, picked some up at the local Asian market, and found this tasty treat. Very simple, quite yummy, and it gives me the satisfaction that I did this myself! ( I think that knowledge makes it taste even better.) Can’t wait to try another one of these recipes soon. Thanks again!

24. Jisha says:

I was searching for some recipes with Chinese Bok Choy so that I could adapt it to Indian Cooking. One thing I noticed everywhere was the use of garlic and the short cooking time. However, I made a Stir Fry (Thoran) and cooked the Bok Choy for around 10 minutes. I felt the stem tasted bitter when I cooked it for 2-3 minutes and so I stir fried it some more time until it was tender and then it tasted more like Cabbage.