I love salmon and one of the best salmon recipes is salmon with Honey Garlic Salmon.
The delicious honey and garlic sauce make the salmon extremely juicy, moist and packed full of flavors.
This is one of the easiest salmon dishes to make at home. This salmon dinner takes only 15 minutes from start to finish.
United States is a salmon powerhouse because nearly one-third of the world’s wild salmon supply comes from here.
As a result, there are many types of salmon available in the market. To get the freshest and best salmon, here are my buying tips:
- Wild caught salmon. If you find wild salmon in your market, buy it. Wild salmon comes from the pristine waters of Pacific Northwest and Alaska and packed full of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Farmed salmon. If you are buying farmed salmon, choose those imported from Norway. Avoid the ones from China. Chinese farms use potentially carcinogenic (cancer-causing) chemicals to raise the fish.
- For the freshest fish, shop on the day when your grocery stores restock their fish.
- Wild salmon looks orange in color whereas farmed salmon is pale orange in color.
- Avoid salmon color that is bright orange or red. It means food dye has been added to the fish.
To learn more about the difference between wild caught vs farmed salmon, click here.
How to Cook Salmon?
How to cook salmon on the stove?
To make this Honey Garlic Salmon recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Salmon fillet.
- Minced garlic.
- Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
First, season the salmon fillets with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
Next, make the honey garlic sauce by mixing the ingredients together.
The final step is heating up a skillet or pan and cook the salmon with garlic and the sauce.
You can add an extra step of broiling the salmon fillets in the oven.
Broiling on high heat chars the surface of the fish, making this recipe extremely delicious and restaurant worthy.
Wild caught salmon is packed of nutrition. Here are the nutrition facts of raw, wild Atlantic Salmon, provided by USDA.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 250 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Salmon is best served with healthy side dishes. For a healthy meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
- 12 oz salmon, cut into 2-3 fillet strips
- black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, sliced into wedges
Season the surface of the salmon with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
Mix the honey, water, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and a pinch of salt together. Stir to combine well.
Heat up a skillet with the olive oil. Pan-fry the salmon until half done. Add the garlic into the pan until slightly browned. Add the honey mixture and lemon wedges into the skillet, reduce the sauce until it's sticky.
Finish it off by broiling the salmon in the oven for 1 minute or until the surface becomes slightly charred (optional step).
Amount Per Serving Calories 327Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 71mgSodium 265mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 12gProtein 26g