One of my favorite shrimp scampi recipes is Hawaiian shrimp scampi, made famous by the Giovanni’s shrimp truck at Kahuku, in the north shore of Oahu island.
If you have been to Hawaii, it’s very likely that you have tried the legendary shrimp. It’s top of the list as a must-eat when you are in Oahu.
My Hawaiian shrimp scampi recipe is loosely adapted from this recipe.
Many of my friends have tried and tested my recipe and all gave me their thumbs up. .They taste very close to Giovanni’s version. It’s utterly delicious and best served with some cold beer. Enjoy!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 557 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb shrimp, headless, shell-on, tail-on, deveined
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 oz unsalted butter, (1/2 stick)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, (optional)
- 1 squirt lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Clean and rinse the shrimp and deveined. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix the flour and the cayenne pepper together in a big bowl. Add the shrimp to the bowl, toss a few times to coat lightly with the flour mixture.
- Heat up a saute pan and add the butter. When the butter melts, add the olive oil. Stir in the garlic, lightly saute until aromatic before adding the shrimp into the pan. Saute the shrimp and then add the white wine, salt, sugar, and fish sauce (if using). Continue to stir until the shrimp is cooked through. Add a squirt or two of the lemon juice and the black pepper. Stir to combine well and serve immediately.
Fish sauce is optional but it adds umami flavor to the dish. If you don't use it, just add more salt to taste.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 557Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 16gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 632mgSodium 2003mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 47g