I just came back from a short trip to Vietnam.
I spent two days in Ho Chi Minh City, practically eating through every corner of it.
One of the dishes that I really enjoyed during this past trip was Vietnamese chicken curry or Ca Ri Ga, which is the local version of Indian curry.
Other Recipes You Might Like
I love curries and really enjoyed the Vietnamese version of it.
Loaded with tender and perfectly cooked chicken, carrots and potatoes, Vietnamese chicken curry is lighter and flavorful, thanks to the ubiquitous fish sauce used in its cooking.
As soon as I am home, I had to develop this recipe to share with you. Making a mean pot of chicken curry is easier than you think, as long as you have all the ingredients.
These days, you can get them at local supermarkets: lemongrass, bottled curry powder and fish sauce.
Once you have them, this dish is a quick 30 minutes recipe to make.
Serve the Vietnamese chicken curry with steamed rice or French bread.
The curry sauce is a little spicy but delightful; the rice or bread will soak up the curry, making this dish one of the most delicious comfort foods for this season. Enjoy!
Serve Vietnamese Chicken Curry with:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 475 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 oz. (56 g) shallot or onion, diced
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into big pieces
- 3 tablespoons curry powder or Madras curry powder
- 2 lemongrass, white parts only, cut into 4-inch strips, pounded
- 4 oz. (115 g) carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 oz. (170 g) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can 14.5 oz. (1 3/4 cups chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat a small pot on medium heat, add the oil until heated. Saute the shallot or onion until softened or aromatic before adding the chicken. Stir the chicken a few times before adding the curry powder, lemongrass, carrots and potatoes. Stir to combine well. Add the chicken broth and coconut milk, turn the heat to low. Cover the pot and let simmer and cook for about 20 - 30 mins, or until the chicken, carrots and potatoes become tender.
- Add the fish sauce and sugar, stir to combine well. Serve hot with steamed rice and/or French bread.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 475Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 144mgSodium 1014mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 34g