Spicy Sichuan Cabbage Recipe
Many people love cabbage recipes. Today, I am sharing a special Chinese cabbage recipe with you: Spicy Sichuan Cabbage.
Which cabbage should you use for this spicy cabbage recipe?
Cabbage is a common vegetable in China but there are many different types available in the market. The round, white or green cabbage is what we use for spicy Sichuan cabbage stir fry recipe. The Chinese name is 包心菜 bao xin cai or 高丽菜 gao li cai. It tastes refreshing and crisp after a quick stir-fry.
Sichuan dishes are famous for their intense flavors: spicy, sour, numbing and savory. It’s easy to make this cabbage recipe; a quick stir-fry with minced garlic, a few chili peppers, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar makes the best and authentic cabbage dish for your dinner.
What Are the Ingredients?
- Fresh chili peppers
- Dried chili peppers
- Soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Oil for cooking
How to Cook Chinese Sichuan Cabbage?
First, pull off the cabbage leaves and tear them into small pieces. Rinse the leaves under running water and drain the excess water with a colander.
Heat the wok or frying pan with oil, stir-fry the minced garlic with chili peppers until aromatic. Add the cabbage and quickly stir-fry it with the remaining ingredients for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat, and serve it immediately.
To make spicy Sichuan cabbage, you must heat the oil in a pan or wok before stir-frying the vegetable. The higher the pan’s temperature, the faster you will cook the dish so the cabbage remains crisp.
Stir fry the minced garlic and chili pepper until golden brown before adding the cabbage to make the dish more aromatic.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Should the Spicy Sichuan Cabbage Be Cooked?
To make the best spicy Sichuan cabbage, you need to stir fry it for 2 to 3 minutes on high heat. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
Can I Eat Cabbage Raw?
Yes, many Chinese restaurants serve a cold spicy cabbage salad as an appetizer, which tastes refreshing and crunchy. To make a spicy, sweet, and sour cabbage salad, you can marinate the raw cabbage with a sauce mixture of sugar, vinegar, chili pepper, sesame oil, and water.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This dish is 213 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with steamed rice or Chinese noodles. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 14 oz. (382 g) half medium cabbage, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh chili peppers, chopped
- 3 dried chili peppers, cut into halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Pull off the cabbage leaves and tear them into small pieces. Soak the cabbage with water for 1 minute and rinse them on both sides under running water. Drain the cabbage with a colander.
- Heat the frying pan or wok on high heat. Add oil to the pan, wait until it's heated, and add garlic and chopped chili peppers. Stir-fry until golden brown.
- Add the cabbage and quickly stir-fry a few times, then add salt, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and oyster sauce. Keep stir-frying the cabbage for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn off the heat. Dish out and serve immediately.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 213Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 0mgSodium 970mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 5gSugar 10gProtein 4g